Displaying form errors and keeping a simple URL

Hi -

I'm using Authlogic for user authentication, and I'm trying to set up the login screen (I'm having the same problem with the registration and other forms, though, but logging in is a nice simple example).

My problem is that the login screen can be accessed through example.com/login just as I'd like it to be, but when there's a problem with the form input, the url changes to example.com/user_session, which I really don't like. If I change the "render :new" in the controller to "redirect_to login_path" then I'm sent to the correct url, but the rails-generated errors don't appear, and the information that had been entered is wiped out, so I don't want to do that.

I'm using a named url for the login screen:

map.login '/login', :controller => 'user_sessions', :action => 'new' map.resource :user_session

My controller looks like:

def new   @user_session = UserSession.new end

def create   @user_session = UserSession.new(params[:user_session])   if @user_session.save     flash[:notice] = "You are now logged in"     redirect_back_or_default account_path   else     render :new   end end

And a simple view, for now:

<% form_for @user_session, :url => user_session_path do |f| %>   <%= f.error_messages %>   <%= f.label :email %><br />   <%= f.text_field :email %><br />   <br />   <%= f.label :password %> - <%= link_to "Forgot Your Password?", password_reset_path %><br />   <%= f.password_field :password %><br />   <br />   <%= f.check_box :remember_me %><%= f.label :remember_me %><br />   <br />   <%= f.submit "Login" %> <% end %>

There must be a simple solution to this - I'm just learning rails, but even so I feel like I'm missing something totally obvious. Can anyone make a suggestion?

Hi Chris,

Hi -

My problem is that the login screen can be accessed through example.com/login just as I'd like it to be, but when there's a problem with the form input, the url changes to example.com/user_session, which I really don't like. If I change the "render :new" in the controller to "redirect_to login_path" then I'm sent to the correct url, but the rails-generated errors don't appear, and the information that had been entered is wiped out, so I don't want to do that.

I'm not sure about the latest versions of RESTful routing but it used to be easy enough to pass the params hash along to the redirected_to method.

redirect_to :action => 'redirected_to_method', :form_data => params[:form_data]

As a first cut I'd try: redirect_to login_path, :form_data => params[:form_data]

Not sure about the error messages.

HTH, Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I actually stumbled across another technique, which I adapted from some code I found in Lovd By Less (http://lovdbyless.com)

Here's how it works for the new user form:

Routes:

map.connect '/join', :controller => 'users', :action => 'new'

Form tag:

<% form_for @user, :url => '/join', :method => :post do |f| %>

Controller

def new     @user = User.new(params[:user])     return unless request.post?     if @user.save       flash[:notice] = "Account registered!"       redirect_back_or_default account_url     else       render :action => :new     end   end

I've only played with it a little bit so far, but it seems to do everything I need, in less code than the scaffolding I was working with, and I haven't found a downside yet. I kind of like it.

bill walton wrote: