disabling time stamps for a particular model

Why can't I do this on my Model

class Abc < ActiveRecordBase

def before_save       ActiveRecord::Base.record_timestamps = false end

def after_save      ActiveRecord::Base.record_timestamps = true   end

end

ABC.save! throws errors without telling me what the problem is. There are timestamps in this particular table and I don't want them to be auto-populated by Rails.

ActiveRecord::RecordNotSaved: ActiveRecord::RecordNotSaved         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/base.rb:2206:in `save_without_validation!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/validations.rb:911:in `save_without_dirty!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/dirty.rb:83:in `save_without_transactions!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:110:in `save!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb: 66:in `transaction'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:79:in `transaction'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:98:in `transaction'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:110:in `save!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:118:in `rollback_active_record_state!'         from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.1.0/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:110:in `save!'         from (irb):18

Hi,

You can't do it like that, you try to disable it globally - which you can do only in your environment/startup config files.

What you can do, however, is not to create timestamps collumns in your migrations for models. So, you just need to remove "t.timestamps" line in migration for model or columns "created_at"/"updated_at".

Best, H.

Hi,

You can't do it like that, you try to disable it globally - which you can do only in your environment/startup config files.

I've done that plenty of times, usually like begin   ActiveRecord::Base.record_timestamps = false   ... ensure   ActiveRecord::Base.record_timestamps = true end

But it's true that if you're going to do it systematically you might
as well stick Abc.record_timestamps = false somewhere

Fred