Disable Logging on a Controller/Action

Does anyone know what the best way to disable logging on a controller or specific action? I've seen a lot of threads, but no real "best practice"?

Thanks, Tom

TomRossi7 wrote:

Does anyone know what the best way to disable logging on a controller or specific action? I've seen a lot of threads, but no real "best practice"?

Why would you ever want to do this? An inaccurate log is worse than none at all.

What's your use case?

Thanks, Tom

Best,

I have an action being called by a monitoring service.

Leaving this out of the log is not "inaccurate", anymore than not logging static files referenced is the public folder is "inaccurate".

Thanks, Tom

TomRossi7 wrote:

I have an action being called by a monitoring service.

Leaving this out of the log is not "inaccurate",

I'm not sure I agree. The log tells you what Rails has been up to. One of the things it has been up to is servicing the requests that come from the monitoring service. Leaving those requests out of the log will lessen the utility of the log.

Consider: if there were a bug or bottleneck in the monitoring request, how would you know? If the monitoring service weren't requesting its action, how would you know?

Picking and choosing in the log is a bad idea.

anymore than not logging static files referenced is the public folder is "inaccurate".

The analogy doesn't hold. The log is specifically a Rails log. Files in /public aren't served by Rails; therefore, they don't appear in the log. Your monitoring requests, however, are served by Rails and should appear in the log.

Thanks, Tom

Best,

Marnen,

I do appreciate the feedback, but I wonder if others agree? Maybe that is why its not a simple task within Rails?

Anyone?

Thanks, Tom

I think logging is a tool, and what you choose to record is up to you.

That said, I have no idea how to selectively turn off the standard Rails logging. :slight_smile:

I was able to get rid of the usual "Processing blah blah..." message with e.g.

def index     logger.auto_flushing= 0     @things = Thing.all     logger.send("clear_buffer")     logger.auto_flushing= 1000   end

but the "Rendering template blah blah... " still shows up. Maybe that'll give you some ideas. Sounds like a good idea for a gem, if selective (or more configurable) logging isn't part of Rails 3. I haven't looked.

FWIW,

Hi Tom,

Not sure if it applies to your specific case, but whenever I come across the need to quiet the logging activity for some particular verbose-under-normal-logging activity process that I'm really only concerned about logging-wise only if it fails, ... I usually just temporarily up the log-level for the specific handling of that process. Something like:

# in the controller:   ...   bak_log_level = logger.level   begin     logger.level = Logger::ERROR     # do some stuff ...     ...   ensure     logger.level = bak_log_level   end   ...

Jeff