DHH's "Flower" presentation - a response

Paul Butcher wrote:

I would like to see two things happen:

1) Make the process by which patches are accepted or rejected transparent.

2) Clean up the patches currently in the databases so that their status is clear, and then keep on top of new patches as they come in. There may be more patches than can be efficiently applied by the core team, but they don't arrive so quickly that they can't at least be responded to indicating where they stand w.r.t the transparent process.

I'd love to see a team of trusted Trac gardeners to help prioritise incoming patches and deal with noise. There's no reason that the core committers have to be the only people who can do this.

Chris

See my blog post on the topic: http://www.bencurtis.com/archives/2006/08/rails-is-growing-up/

In that post, I describe some improvements that could be made to the Rails development process. Disappointingly, that post got absolutely zero response from the core team, even though I specifically asked for feedback on it.

That said, I wasn't at RailsConf Europe and didn't see David's presentation, so maybe he responded to it there. :slight_smile:

Hi,

> 1) Make the process by which patches are accepted > or rejected transparent. > > 2) Clean up the patches currently in the databases so > that their status is clear, and then keep on top of new > patches as they come in. There may be more patches > than can be efficiently applied by the core team, but > they don't arrive so quickly that they can't at least be > responded to indicating where they stand w.r.t the > transparent process.

I'd love to see a team of trusted Trac gardeners to help prioritise incoming patches and deal with noise. There's no reason that the core committers have to be the only people who can do this.

I was also thinking that Rails Bugday could be organized, that is, creating a special channel Irc Freenode channel for one day, where patches authors who want instant feedback, core team, people willing to test patches, are gathered to fix the maximum of bugs (or a previously selection of bugs ?). Other open projects like Gentoo, Gnome, Zope... organize that type of event. I don't know exactly how they are organized to be the most efficient in that day since I haven't any experience in Bugday. But maybe in the Rails community, there are people who have already take part in bugdays and can organize Rails Bugdays. It depends also on the availability of the core team.

Just a thought,

-- Jean-François.

One common reason patches get closed is for lack of a unit test to prove it is fixed. That said, a group of gardeners who can either create the patches or at least comminucate the need through trac would be beneficial.

David Morton Maia Mailguard http://www.maiamailguard.com mortonda@dgrmm.net