Devise confusing routes

I had a similar problem yesterday.

I would go to the root of my site and I would get a Too Many Redirects message. It seems like there was an infinite loop. After struggling for over an hour yesterday late at night, it seemed like I fixed it.

But now, when I want to create a New User, it's redirecting me to the Sign In screen. Seems like I didn't fix the problem completely.

I think Devise is confusing the routes. If I do rake routes, I get this...

new_user_session GET /users/sign_in(.:format) user_session POST /users/sign_in(.:format) destroy_user_session DELETE /users/sign_out(.:format)

new_user GET /users/new(.:format) edit_user GET /users/:id/edit(.:format) user GET /users/:id(.:format)

This is routes.rb

devise_for :users, :controllers => { :registrations => 'users/registrations' }

resources :companies resources :users resources :companies do   resources :users end

I think the routes are getting confused somehow. Because when I click on Create New User button, it seems me to the Sign in form (new_user_session, instead of new_user).

Actually if you are using devise for registration, you probably want to use the new_user_registration route. It’s possible your Users controller is secured, so it’s not allowing access unless the user is logged in (and thus redirects to the sign in page).

The user is logged in. So it's redirecting me to the root url with the message "You are already signed in".

So I go to create new user form, I click Create User, and then redirects me to the root url "You are already signed in".

This is my log:

Started GET "/users/new" for 127.0.0.1 at Thu Jul 14 13:21:18 -0500 2011   Processing by UsersController#new as HTML   User Load (0.4ms) SELECT "users".* FROM "users" WHERE "users"."id" = 2 LIMIT 1 Rendered users/_form.html.erb (14.8ms)   Role Load (0.3ms) SELECT "roles".* FROM "roles" WHERE "roles"."id" = 3 LIMIT 1 Rendered users/new.html.erb within layouts/application (52.3ms) Completed 200 OK in 208ms (Views: 59.4ms | ActiveRecord: 0.8ms)

Started POST "/users" for 127.0.0.1 at Thu Jul 14 13:21:25 -0500 2011   Processing by Users::RegistrationsController#create as HTML   Parameters: {"commit"=>"Create User", "authenticity_token"=>"LhvatktCSdtm03HE4tHMrsAar3tb3y/vbmT7x2Vh5I8=", "utf8"=>"✓", "user"=>{"title"=>"", "password_confirmation"=>"[FILTERED]", "username"=>"", "last_name"=>"", "password"=>"[FILTERED]", "first_name"=>"", "email"=>""}}   User Load (0.6ms) SELECT "users".* FROM "users" WHERE "users"."id" = 2 LIMIT 1 Redirected to http://localhost:3000/ Completed 302 Found in 74ms

I just remembered what fixed the Too Many Redirects error last night. I move the devise_for statement to the top of the routes file.

SO you notice how it's hitting the RegistrationsController when I click the Create User button?

Rendered users/new.html.erb within layouts/application (52.3ms) Completed 200 OK in 208ms (Views: 59.4ms | ActiveRecord: 0.8ms)

Started POST "/users" for 127.0.0.1 at Thu Jul 14 13:21:25 -0500 2011   Processing by Users::RegistrationsController#create as HTML   Parameters: {"commit"=>"Create User",

That sounds like it’s your problem. The Devise registrations controller does not allow a user to be logged in. The only reason you don’t get that error for your “new” action is because you aren’t using the “new” action from the devise registrations controller - you’re using the “new” action from your users controller.

Check out line 2: https://github.com/plataformatec/devise/blob/master/app/controllers/devise/registrations_controller.rb#L1

This is getting extremely frustrating! >:-(

So I moved the devise_for statement, under resources users:   resources :companies   resources :users

resources :companies do     resources :users   end

and now the form DOES WORK, but now I'm back at the Too Many Redirects error!!!

If I remove the before_filter :authenticate_user! in the application controller I get errors like Couldn't find User with ID=sign_in or Couldn't find User with ID=sign_out

My neck hurts from tension! :frowning:

The “devise_for :users” should go before your “resources :users”

The problem is most likely occurring because you have mixed references to your users controller and the devise registrations controller. Without seeing your code it’s impossible to determine exactly where the problem is.

Does your “create new user” link go to new_user_registration_path? It should.

Ok, so just moved devise_for at the top of the routes file.

This is my users controller. I removed a lot of code to isolate the problem, but even without that code, it shouldn't tell me "user is already sign in" and send me to the root url.

oh ok, well, yes maybe that's it! Maybe it was kinda obvious and I didn't see it! There is two different ways to create a new user.

SIGN UP A Sign Up form, where people can subscribe to the Web App. When they subscribe, it creates an account for them and a user is created via the Sign Up form (a modified version of Devise Sign Up form)

ACCOUNT OWNER ADDING USERS A Create New User form from INSIDE the Web App, where the Account Owner can add users for the Web App.

The one in which I'm currently working on, it's on the form from INSIDE the Web App so Account Owners can add people to the account. So I guess whenever a new user is attempted to be created, Devise sends them to the, duh, Registration Controller. But I need a form that it's supposed to be handled by the User Controller.

How do you recommend I tackle that problem? Should do something to use the Registration Controller or should I use the User Controller?

Still the question remains, why does the Create New User form from the Users Controller sends me to the Sign In page, realizes I'm already signed in, then redirects me to the root url with message "You are already logged in"?

Yep, I already understood what the problem was.

For my own future reference and if anybody else runs into the same problem.

Devise uses RegistrationController to create new users via the Sign Up form. If you try to add new users on your own by creating your very own User model, controller and views. When you submit the new user form. The app will try to use the RegistrationController instead of the UsersController.

I'm going to try to do something else. Maybe something like this...