Destroy method not working (routing question)

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement an admin control panel for my application and everything seems to work fine, except when I try to call the destroy method from the view. I really tried to search for a solution, reading some routing rails articles, but can't figure out what's going on. When I call the method from the console it works. Calling it from the view redirects to the list action, but the product is not deleted.

View:

Hello Alberto,

In your view, what are you trying to say with [:admin, product]. Is it perhaps {:controller => "admin/product"}?

rake routes on your routes.rb shows:

DELETE /admin/products/:id                    {:action=>"destroy", :controller=>"admin/products"}

So you should be able to use:

<%= link_to 'delete', products_path(product), :method => :delete,       :confirm => 'Are you sure?' %>

Rick

This might actually work :slight_smile:

<%= link_to 'delete', admin_products_path(product),          :method => :delete, :confirm => 'Are you sure?' %>

Rick

Hello Rick,

Thanks for you reply. Yes, the controller is "admin/products". With rake routes I have:

DELETE /admin/products/:id {:controller=>"admin/ products", :action=>"destroy"}

I tried to call admin_products_path(product) like you suggested but it shows me an error (You have a nil object ...). Calling admin_product_path works but don't delete the product, it redirects to the list action and the product remains there. Rails version is 2.1.1. When I told you that I called the destroy method using the console, what I did was execute "Product.find(3).destroy". Is there another way to test a controller's method using the console ?

Hello again,

So let's back up one step. Your error is "You have a nil object...", let's prove that is true.

How about changing the   <%= link_to .... %> to something simple like   <p>Product ID: <%= product %></p>

Then, when that gives you nil cut the loop out and insert a statement that displays something meaningful from @products. If that produces a nil that you have to look at how you got here (in the view) and what was your assumption how @products got to have a value associated with it.

This would be easier for you if you single stepped through a debugger. You might consider it time well spent to learn how.

Rick

OK Rick, I did what you said and confirmed that @products is populated. That error only occurs when I use "admin_products_path". If I change it to "admin_product_path" no error occurs but the product isn ´t deleted. I will follow your hint later and try to debug the application to see what is going wrong. I'll post the results.

Thank you,

Hi alberto!

I don't think your syntax is the problem here, [:admin, product] or admin_product_path should work fine. I'm afraid I can't work out what's going wrong but why not try adding "logger.info('message here' )" to your controller both before and after the destroy call.

You can then check your log and find out what code is being run and what isn't. Also, do you have anything in your model that may be causing an issue, a :before_destroy perhaps?

Gavin

The link should be:

<%= link_to "Delete", admin_product_path(product), :method => :delete, :confirm => "Are you sure you want to delete this product?" %>

Just to clarify: the controller you mean is admin/ products_controller.rb, right?

Hey Alberto,

Take a look at this site, I think it's pretty close match to what you are trying to accomplish:

Rick

OK, first I tried to call logger.info ‘message’ but nothing was logged (development.log). After this I installed ruby-debug and put an “debugger” instruction but the execution didn’t stopped on that point. So I really believe that the destroy method isn’t being called, but why?

I know that is something really stupid but can’t see what’s wrong …

Ryan, the controller is ‘admin/products_controller.rb’. I will try to fix it using the link Rick suggested.

Thanks,

What else is in your controller? Anything in application.rb?

Ryan,

Nothing in application.rb. I migrated this app from rails 1.2 and now I want to create an admin control panel.

admin/products_controller.rb:

What’s in your routes.rb file?

routes.rb

Hey Alberto,

Here's what's in my

config/route.rb:

map.namespace :admin do |admin|     admin.resources :products   end

Rick,

You are right. I tried to do what you suggested with a new project and it really worked. But with my project it doesn´t work. Something is wrong with my project, I´ll try to discover later. Maybe something with pagination or the model, I don´t know. If I discover something I ´ll post the results later.

Thanks for your help,

OK, removed the "# GETs should be safe" part of the controller and it worked.

# GETs should be safe (see URIs, Addressability, and the use of HTTP GET and POST)   verify :method => :post, :only => [ :destroy, :create, :update ],           :redirect_to => { :action => :index }

Does it really needs to be inserted inside the controller ?