deprecation warnings

I'm still using 1.2.6 and have an eye on upgrading to 2.0 so I monitor the logs for deprecation warnings. I thought I was clean and log/development.log shows nothing when doing 'grep deprec log/development.log' but in testing, one of my testing controllers throws a bunch of these on screen...

/usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/core_ext/symbol.rb:10: warning: Object#id will be deprecated; use Object#object_id

So I'm thinking that it comes from some of my view templates which I suppose I can clean up but I need to locate where these are coming from.

But if I run through some of the view templates on this controller (and there are a lot and in various folders), I still don't get any deprecation warnings in log/development.log

How can I figure out where these are coming from?

Craig

It could be in the test code itself. The fact that it happens in symbol suggests that you've got a line somewhere that does map &:id (or collect, or some other enumerable function) and that that collection contains at least one thing that is not an instance an ActiveRecord::Base descendant.

Fred

> > I'm still using 1.2.6 and have an eye on upgrading to 2.0 so I monitor > the logs for deprecation warnings. I thought I was clean and > log/development.log shows nothing when doing 'grep deprec > log/development.log' but in testing, one of my testing controllers > throws a bunch of these on screen... > > /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ > core_ext/symbol.rb:10: warning: Object#id will be deprecated; use
> Object#object_id > > So I'm thinking that it comes from some of my view templates which I > suppose I can clean up but I need to locate where these are coming
> from.

> But if I run through some of the view templates on this controller
> (and > there are a lot and in various folders), I still don't get any > deprecation warnings in log/development.log > > How can I figure out where these are coming from?

It could be in the test code itself. The fact that it happens in
symbol suggests that you've got a line somewhere that does map &:id
(or collect, or some other enumerable function) and that that
collection contains at least one thing that is not an instance an
ActiveRecord::Base descendant.

> It could be in the test code itself. The fact that it happens in
> symbol suggests that you've got a line somewhere that does map &:id
> (or collect, or some other enumerable function) and that that
> collection contains at least one thing that is not an instance an
> ActiveRecord::Base descendant.

---- OK...I'm trying to get a handle on what you are telling me.

This happens to be an extremely large test file (3000 lines).

Perusal suggests that the only way I am using :id in this test file is with post commands (I changed all of the the 'get :some_method :id => 1' to post commands just in case).

seeing as how my 'rake test:functionals' returns...

417 tests, 5721 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors

but this above deprecation notices only comes from my 'reports_controller_test' I have to believe that it's from my view templates.

I don't think that follows. A deprecation warning isn't a test failure or an error.

does this usage cause a problem? (I can't see why it would)

<% for incident in IncidentReport.include facility.id, @inc_beg_date, @inc_end_date %>

unlikely. (but the obvious way to find out would be to remove and see if it makes a difference).

Fred

> > It could be in the test code itself. The fact that it happens in
> > symbol suggests that you've got a line somewhere that does map &:id
> > (or collect, or some other enumerable function) and that that
> > collection contains at least one thing that is not an instance an
> > ActiveRecord::Base descendant. > > ---- > OK...I'm trying to get a handle on what you are telling me. > > This happens to be an extremely large test file (3000 lines). > > Perusal suggests that the only way I am using :id in this test file is > with post commands (I changed all of the the 'get :some_method :id => 1' > to post commands just in case). > > seeing as how my 'rake test:functionals' returns... > > 417 tests, 5721 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors > > but this above deprecation notices only comes from my > 'reports_controller_test' I have to believe that it's from my view > templates.

I don't think that follows. A deprecation warning isn't a test failure or an error.

> > does this usage cause a problem? (I can't see why it would) > > <% for incident in IncidentReport.include facility.id, @inc_beg_date, > @inc_end_date %> > unlikely. (but the obvious way to find out would be to remove and see if it makes a difference).