deployment question: has anyone deployed w. sqlite?

Hi,

I'd like to make a demo version of my app available, but I'm not ready to get into database stuff, yet. Has anyone ever deployed with sqlite (what I used to develop my app)? If so, what hosting service(s) would you recommend?

Thanks,

Lille

I'd like to make a demo version of my app available, but I'm not ready to get into database stuff, yet. Has anyone ever deployed with sqlite (what I used to develop my app)? If so, what hosting service(s) would you recommend?

Well, if it's a demo, and you're not really into database stuff... I would be inclined to setup a developer account on heroku and let it use PostgreSQL. Unless you've done some sqlite-only stuff it shouldn't matter what the database is.

Otherwise... find somewhere that has the sqlite ruby gem installed and go crazy.

-philip

I would second Heroku. I just manually deployed my first app (ubuntu server/nginx/passenger) after using heroku for some time -- be good to yourself, unless you really must deploy it yourself, try heroku.

Lille wrote:

Hi,

I'd like to make a demo version of my app available, but I'm not ready to get into database stuff, yet.

Then you're not ready to make a demo version available. You can't write DB-driven apps if you're afraid of the DB.

Has anyone ever deployed with sqlite (what I used to develop my app)? If so, what hosting service(s) would you recommend?

Don't do that. SQLite is not suitable for production Web apps, since it doesn't handle concurrency issues very well.

(And I agree that Heroku totally rocks.)

Has anyone ever deployed with sqlite (what I used to develop my app)? If so, what hosting service(s) would you recommend?

Don't do that. SQLite is not suitable for production Web apps, since it doesn't handle concurrency issues very well.

Just to play devil's advocate... sqlite is fine for production web apps that are almost entirely read only. SQLite falls over when trying to handle concurrent writes though.

So.. if your app doesn't get any writes, or gets so few it doesn't matter... or... is a demo app only viewed under controlled situations... it may work fine.

But still... I'd recommend something else. Hate to have a couple of demos going on and have it slow down on you.

-philip

This has been my experience as well. So long as you have a really fast disk to speed along the write locks, you can use sqlite forever.

Thank you all for your comments.

@Phillip, @Marnen - I didn't know about the sqlite concurrency factor, thanks...