deploying on shared host

how do you make rails run in production mode when deploying in a shared hosting environment? thanks in advance -mike

How are you starting your server process( be it in development or whatever )? Are they useing FCGI, Mongrel, Lighty etc? How are you deploying to them( Capistrano? )?

mike wrote:

Hi, thanks for your response. I am using FCGI at the moment.

OK and how are you deploying this app?

Sorry forgot to add In your environment.rb you'll see on line 5 # ENV['RAILS_ENV'] ||= 'production'

Just un-comment that line and it will force Rails into production mode

I'm having trouble getting capistrano working on os x (just moved from a linux laptop to a macbook pro) so at the moment i'm copying the files via scp from my development directory to the host (a2hosting). -mike

by the way. everything works fine (application works, etc) except that it's using the development database connection in database.yml

And you've got them defined differently in your database.yml?. I'm not sure how that's really possible if you running in production. When the app throws an error do you see the full stack trace on the screen?(of you production version)

Cool thanks for all your help. I had to force the ENV_RAILS variable in environments.rb like you suggested.