Debugging Cookie Behavior

Hi All,

this is getting desperate...

I have a rails applcation setting a cookie like

cookies[:foo] = 'bar'

At my local development system (Mac 10.5.6, Ruby 1.8.6, Rails 2.2.2) mongrel (how do i find out the mongrel version, btw.?) sets this cookie both on development and production environment, so everything is fine here.

At the live system (Debian, Ruby 1.8.6, Rails 2.2.2, mongrel) The cookie is set when i start mongrel with -e development, but not with production environment.

I did compare the dev / org environment config files on local and live, they are identical. I changed the location where the cookie is set to be absolutely sure that the code is processed and changed the value to to a static string for testing, but no result. I checked development.log and production.log but could find no kind of error message or other hint.

Do you have any further idea what can i do to debug this behavior? i think if the system fails to set a cookie it should throw at least any error anywhere, how can i find it? Is it possible that the system sets the cookie but the browser doesn't accept it for any reason? Would the system get a message from the browser then? Would it store this message anywhere?

What else can i do to localize differences between local and live ore production and development systems?

Thank you very much for any(!) hint or idea.

D.