database.yml question

Based on what I read, database.yml has the config pointing to all 3 different environment. You can use rake to move the schema from one environment to another. How will the rails know it is running in development or testing or data center environment to use appropriate database ? Thanks.

Based on what I read, database.yml has the config pointing to all 3 different environment. You can use rake to move the schema from one environment to another. How will the rails know it is running in development or testing or data center environment to use appropriate database ?

I think be default at the top of config/environment.rb there is a line that sets RAILS_ENV to development unless it's already been set elsewhere in the environment.

So by default you're gonna end up in 'development'. Otherwise it depends on how you start up rails. Each web server has it's own way of indicating the environment rails should start up in.

And things like script/console and script/runner take the argument on the command line if you want to change it.

-philip

Thanks for the information.