Database Sessions with Oracle 10g Problem

Hello all,

I changed the app to use the active_record_store for sessions. This worked fine in my Windows development environment. Then I moved the app over to the Linux Dev environment and now I am seeing oracle ORA-24812 errors as soon as I access the app. The WIndows and Linux environments point to the same database. The linux box is using a oracle full client although, since I did not install it, I do not know the exact one.

Any ideas? Any help is appreciated

Thanks, Steve

Error from log: May 03 21:17:03 appd01 rails[14929]: OCIError (Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-24812): /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/ 1.8/oci8.rb:837:in `write' /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/ oci8.rb:837:in `write' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:56:in `write_lobs' /vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/ oracle_adapter.rb:49:in `each' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/ active_record/connection_adapters/oracle_adapter.rb:49:in `write_lobs' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ callbacks.rb:333:in `send' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/ active_record/callbacks.rb:333:in `callback' /vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:330:in `each' /vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/callbacks.rb:330:in `callback' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ callbacks.rb:243:in `create_or_update' /vendor/rails/activerecord/ lib/active_record/base.rb:1546:in `save_without_validation' /vendor/ rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/validations.rb:752:in `save_without_transactions' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/ active_record/transactions.rb:129:in `save' /vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/ database_statements.rb:59:in `transaction' /vendor/rails/ activerecord/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:95:in `transaction' / vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/transactions.rb:121:in `transaction' /vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/ transactions.rb:129:in `save' /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/ action_controller/session/active_record_store.rb:309:in `update' / vendor/rails/activerecord/lib/active_record/base.rb:867:in `silence' /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_controller/session/ active_record_store.rb:309:in `update' /vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/ action_controller/sessi

Hello. I figured out what the issue was. The ORACLE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variables were not being set. The application worked fine if I started mongrel manually locally on the box since the variables are in the bash_profile. The application fails if I used cap to start/restart mongrel. The weird thing is the whole app worked fine until I told it to start using the active record store for sessions. I guess it was a problem with using CLOB datatypes.

I used the following solution:

I also found a couple more if that one does not work for you: http://forum.textdrive.com/viewtopic.php?pid=119876 http://cwilliams.textdriven.com/articles/2006/10/27/getting-capistrano-to-play-with-oracle-on-red-hat-enterprise-linux