Custom response headers

I have to change all headers in Ruby on rails response message. This must be done because my application should read another www-page from the other server and then send it to the client such as it comes from the original web server.

I thought first that it is easy to change headers in class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base by creating after filter following way:

class ApplicationController < ActionController::Base    after_filter :customheaders

private

def customheaders       response.headers["Test header title"]="Test header value"    end end

However, my application sends always just default headers. I know that the after filter works because if I change body content in customheaders -function, it works (response.body = "New body content").

The application renders web page normally in a view-component. Rails version is 3.0.3.

Would anyone know how I could change all headers of the response message in application controller?

That looks like it should work (I don't think that an after filter is 'too late' to set headers). How are you testing that the headers aren't there?

Fred

That looks like it should work (I don't think that an after filter is 'too late' to set headers). How are you testing that the headers aren't there?

Fred

I checked headers with two separate methods, by sending HTTP request with curl and -i option and also with Firefox Live HTTP headers - addon.

I also tried to set custom headers in original controller component (no filters), but results were same.

Are you doing this at localhost, or in production behind a "real" Web server?

Walter

Curl was used in the same server (Ubuntu) as application is executed. Firefox was running in the another computer.

I made changes directly to the application which was running in the server. The server is in "production".

Curl was used in the same server (Ubuntu) as application is executed. Firefox was running in the another computer.

I made changes directly to the application which was running in the server. The server is in “production”.

Dumb question: are you sure your changes are actually in use (ie whatever needs to be restarted has been restarted)? Can you replicate this on your development machine?

Fred

Dumb question: are you sure your changes are actually in use (ie whatever needs to be restarted has been restarted)? Can you replicate this on your development machine?

All other changes come in use as I expect? What could not be in use?

I tried to debug content of the response object and oddly if I render it at the end of the view component ( <%= debug response %>), header content is fine. It is exactly such as I expect. But when I check headers of the received HTTP message, they are different than in response object?

Could this problem happen because I get unauthorized message from the original server and I try to use headers of it in normal Ruby on rails response message?

body: !str   str: ""   "@_rails_html_safe": false body_exist: true code: "401" header:   content-language:   - en-US   content-type:   - text/plain   connection:   - close   server:   - IBM_HTTP_Server   date:   - Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:13:26 GMT   content-length:   - "0" http_version: "1.1" message: Unauthorized read: true socket: