Current Edge breaks plugin loads

In revision 5720, NZKoz checked in some stuff that is supposed to use config.plugins for loading plugin s in the right order. I think he intended it to keep working the way it is if config.plugins is not set, but at least for me, no plugins are being loaded at all with this change.

I was able to fix it temporarily by doing this (sorry if the patch file is kinda screwy, I don't do this very often):

Index: railties/lib/initializer.rb

In revision 5720, NZKoz checked in some stuff that is supposed to use config.plugins for loading plugin s in the right order. I think he intended it to keep working the way it is if config.plugins is not set, but at least for me, no plugins are being loaded at all with this change.

I've reverted the change to both edge and 1-2, James, if you can PDI a fix, that'd be hot :).

I'm on it.

Hi Martin,

The fix you've provided (essentially reverting a part of http://dev.rubyonrails.org/ticket/6842) will add *all* lib directories from plugins to the load path, regardless of config.plugins. Can you please do the following:

a) ensure that you're using a fresh copy of Rails 1.2/trunk, with no modifications on your side b) detail which plugins you are using - if your plugins have interdependencies, that could be an important clue c) open up a console and give me the output of "puts $LOAD_PATH"

That should be a good starting point. I'm keen to get this fixed ASAP :slight_smile:

James

> In revision 5720, NZKoz checked in some stuff that is supposed to use > config.plugins for loading plugin s in the right order. I think he > intended it to keep working the way it is if config.plugins is not set, > but at least for me, no plugins are being loaded at all with this > change.

Following up on this, I can't replicate Martin's problem. Here are the steps I took to try:

1. create new rails application

$ cd /tmp   $ rails test_plugin_loading   < ... rails project creation output ... >   $ cd test_plugin_loading

2. check out the version of Rails with patches from #6851 and #6842 installed

$ svn co -r 5720 http://dev.rubyonrails.org/svn/rails/trunk vendor/rails

3. create some sample plugins

$ mkdir vendor/plugins/plugin_a   $ mkdir vendor/plugins/plugin_a/lib   $ echo "puts 'loading plugin a'" > vendor/plugins/plugin_a/init.rb   $ mkdir vendor/plugins/plugin_b   $ echo "puts 'loading plugin b'" > vendor/plugins/plugin_b/init.rb

4. load up script/console

$ script/console   Loading development environment.   loading plugin A   loading plugin B   >> puts $LOAD_PATH   < ... snipped to show the relevant parts ... >   script/../config/../config/../components   script/../config/../config/../config   script/../config/../config/../lib   script/../config/../config/../vendor/plugins/plugin_a/lib/   script/../config/../config/../vendor   /private/tmp/test_loading_plugins/vendor/rails/railties/builtin/rails_info/   script/../config/../config/../vendor/rails/railties   script/../config/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib   < ... etc ... >

... as you'd expect, both plugins are loaded, and plugin_a/lib appears in the load path. Editing config/environment.rb to include "config.plugins = ", and as expected, no plugins load:

>> exit   $ script/console   Loading development environment.   >>

In this case, no plugins have been loaded, and accordinly vendor/plugins/plugin_a/lib does NOT appear in the $LOAD_PATH.

My only conclusion here is that the patch works fine, and that the setup Martin was using somehow relied on the previously-broken behaviour of having all plugin lib directories in the $LOAD_PATH before any plugins are actually loaded. I'd suggest that Martin makes use of config.plugins to fix his application.

It's worth noting that #6851 doesn't affect this issue - can we reapply that?

Hi James,

I am by no means a Rails Core expert, so yes, my analysis might be wrong. However, after Koz's fix yesterday, I couldn't start up mongrel anymore, because it was complaining about missing constants (don't have the exact error message and trace handy).

This happened for some of our own plugins, but also for common plugins like ExceptionNotifier. We were testing this on a clean version of Edge Rails, without any special patches.

Martin

Here's the error I am seeing, in this case with the exception
notifier plugin:

=> Booting Mongrel (use 'script/server webrick' to force WEBrick) => Rails application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000 => Call with -d to detach => Ctrl-C to shutdown server ** Starting Mongrel listening at 0.0.0.0:3000 ** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:263:in `load_missing_constant': uninitialized
constant ExceptionNotifier (NameError)          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:447:in `const_missing'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:459:in `const_missing'          from /Users/maym/Projects/loopnote/config/environment.rb:58          from /opt/local/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/rubygems/ custom_require.rb:21:in `require'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:490:in `require'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:337:in `new_constants_in'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:490:in `require'          from /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.17/lib/ mongrel/rails.rb:156:in `rails'           ... 13 levels...          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:337:in `new_constants_in'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/dependencies.rb:490:in `require'          from ./script/../config/../vendor/rails/railties/lib/ commands/server.rb:39          from script/server:3

Hope that helps,

Martin

Found the problem - because we weren't adding ALL plugin lib directories as default_load_paths, they weren't getting added to Dependencies.load_paths (which is where the automatic constant loading magic is based).

I've updated the ticket (#6842) with a new patch that explicitly adds plugin lib directories to the Dependencies mechanism - Koz, can you apply #6842 and #6851 again?

Cheers!

I can confirm that the new patch seems to fix things for me.

Thanks, Martin

Committed. Let me know if there are any other issues.