cross referenced tables

Hi Guys,

I'm having a similar problem to someone earlier on the board, but the solutions posted aren't working for me, so I figured I wouldn't hijack the thread and started a new one:

I have an application that allows users to post updates, when they go to the homepage I want the users details and a list of their updates to show, however I'm having trouble with the find parameters.

Currently the model states that:

user has_many: updates update belongs_to:user

I think this is correct (and the right pluralisation)?

the controller for the index page looks like this:

def index     @user = User.find(params[:id])     @updates = Update.find(params[:id]).updates

end

as explained in a previous thread (You have a nil object - Rails - Ruby-Forum) I've also tried the different permutations of @updates = Update.find(:all, :conditions =>["user_id = ?",

params[:user_id]])

When visiting the page I get this messageL

undefined method `updates' for #<Update:0xb7582750>

Have I missed something rediculously obvious? this seems like it should be a fairly trivial thing to get working but I'm pretty new to the whole rails experience...

cheers, lee

Hi Guys,

I'm having a similar problem to someone earlier on the board, but the solutions posted aren't working for me, so I figured I wouldn't hijack the thread and started a new one:

I have an application that allows users to post updates, when they
go to the homepage I want the users details and a list of their updates to show, however I'm having trouble with the find parameters.

Currently the model states that:

user has_many: updates update belongs_to:user

I think this is correct (and the right pluralisation)?

the controller for the index page looks like this:

def index    @user = User.find(params[:id])    @updates = Update.find(params[:id]).updates

I think you just wanted to write @user.updates assuming that
params[:id] is the id of a user.

Fred

Thanks for the quick reply Fred!

the params [:id] is a users id yes, do you mean to change the controller to this:

def index     @user = User.find(params[:id])     @updates = @user.updates

end

this gave me an error of:

You have a nil object when you didn't expect it! The error occurred while evaluating nil.date

with the lines:

Extracted source (around line #19):

16: <h2>Updates</h2><br/> 17: <% for column in Update.content_columns %> 18: <p> 19: <b><%= column.human_name %>:</b> <%=h @update.send(column.name) %> 20: </p> 21: <% end %> 22:

(which is where it begins outputting update information)

could this point at an error somewhere else in my code (if its important, the app is mostly standard scaffold code) Frederick Cheung wrote:

at the risk of this becoming a monologue.. I've fixed the problem

19: <b><%= column.human_name %>:</b> <%=h @updates.send(column.name)

needed to be

19: <b><%= column.human_name %>:</b> <%=h update.send(column.name)

cheers for the help explaining how to reference the tables Fred!