Create db row in my partial template

Hi,

When I use script/generate scaffold for my db it automatically creates that page where I can select to add a new item to the database.

In the controller, the create method looks like this:   def create     @user = User.new(params[:user])

respond_to do |format|       if @user.save         flash[:notice] = 'User was successfully created.'         format.html { redirect_to(@user) }         format.xml { render :xml => @user, :status => :created, :location => @user }       else         format.html { render :action => "new" }         format.xml { render :xml => @user.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

And the new.html.erb looks like this:

<h1>New user</h1>

<% form_for(@user) do |f| %>   <%= f.error_messages %>

<p>     <%= f.label :email %><br />     <%= f.text_field :email %>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.label :password %><br />     <%= f.text_field :password %>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.submit "Create" %>   </p> <% end %>

<%= link_to 'Back', users_path %>

I have no real clue what the new.html.erb code does. I'm trying to replicate this form in my own template, but obviously it doesn't work.

Can someone advise me please, thanks!

What's the question? - As far as I can tell you basically posted what the scaffold generates, followed by 'Help!' :slight_smile:

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

I have no real clue what the new.html.erb code does. I'm trying to replicate this form in my own template, but obviously it doesn't work.

Can someone advise me please, thanks!

What's the question? - As far as I can tell you basically posted what the scaffold generates, followed by 'Help!' :slight_smile:

Fred

Essentially, how do I manipulate the database outside of the class User < ActiveRecord::Base. I need a form similar to the one that is automatically generated via scrip/generate scaffold so I can add additional users into my database.

I need a input fields and a submit field...

entry 1: ______ => 'test' entry 2: ______ => 'test'        >submit> => database table Users

Sounds like you just want to edit the generated form. If you're running into trouble there, best post the specific issue you're having.

Fred

I want to move the generated form from new.html.erb to my new file add.html.erb

So what have you put in add.html.erb? What have you put in the corresponding action? What happens when you visit the corresponding url?

Fred

in partial template _user_list.html.erb:

<%= link_to_remote "+ Add User", :url => { :action => :add_user } %>       <!--<% hidden_div_if(false, :id => "add_user") do %>         <%= render(:partial => "add_user") %>       <% end %>//-->

in partial _add_user.html.erb: <table style="margin-top:1em;">   <tr>     <td>       Email: <input type="text" class="add-input" id="email">     </td>   </tr>

<tr>       <td>         Password: <input type ="text" class="add-input">       </td>     </tr>

<tr>         <td>           <% form_remote_tag :url => { :action => :create } do %>             <%= submit_tag "Add User" %>           <% end %>         </td>       </tr> </table>

in users_controller.rb:   def add_user

end

that's all i have... I don't know how to tie it together.