Create a hyphen-separated set of letters derived from a string - How to?

Hi,

This is such a trivial programming issue, but I can't find a way to transform, say 'abc' to 'a-b-c' without using pattern matching.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance, Richard

not tested, but should work:

lenght = word.size 1.upto(lenght) do |i|   newword << word.slice(i,1)   newword << "-" unless i == lenght end

irb(main):130:0> a = “abcdefg” => “abcdefg” irb(main):131:0> a.size.times do |i| irb(main):132:1* a.insert i*2, ‘-’ irb(main):133:1> end => 7 irb(main):134:0> a = a[1…-1]

=> “a-b-c-d-e-f-g” irb(main):135:0>

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses. They're both great. After posting my question in frustration, I finally found approach in my copy of Hal Fulton's book, as shown below. So my frustration's ended and I've got three solutions!

Again, many thanks.

Regards, Richard

# CharFromString.rb # Source: "The Ruby Way, 2nd. ed". p. 68

sString = "abc" asChars = sString.scan(/./) sSpacedString = String.new asChars.each { |sChar| sSpacedString << sChar << ' ' } puts sSpacedString

This above is a more verbose approach than Hal Fulton's. I like to use the "type" prefixes originally adopted by Charles Petzold, the lead developer of Windows.

Best wishes, Richard

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your responses. They're both great. After posting my question in frustration, I finally found approach in my copy of Hal Fulton's book, as shown below. So my frustration's ended and I've got three solutions!

Again, many thanks.

Regards, Richard

sString = "abc" asChars = sString.scan(/./) sSpacedString = String.new asChars.each { |sChar| sSpacedString << sChar << ' ' } puts sSpacedString

irb(main):001:0> "Here's a one-liner".split(//).join "-" => "H-e-r-e-'-s- -a- -o-n-e---l-i-n-e-r"

This above is a more verbose approach than Hal Fulton's. I like to use the "type" prefixes originally adopted by Charles Petzold, the lead developer of Windows.

Your coding conventions are quite far from the norm, yes. Have a look at <http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=view;name=RubyCodingConvention&gt;, for instance.

You'll also find that most non-delphi programmers think hungarian notation is evil (type prefixes).

Finally, I thought I'd point out that comp.lang.ruby (e.g. on google groups, and relayed to ruby-talk@ruby-lang.org) may be a better place for generic Ruby programming questions.

HTH, Isak

Hi Isak

Thanks for responding.

irb(main):001:0> "Here's a one-liner".split(//).join "-" => "H-e-r-e-'-s- -a- -o-n-e---l-i-n-e-r"

Nice! I thought of "join" this afternoon while I was driving to a Microsoft presentation on Vista & Office 2007. A very different world from RoR, eh?

Your coding conventions are quite far from the norm, yes. Have a look at <http://pub.cozmixng.org/~the-rwiki/rw-cgi.rb?cmd=view;name=RubyCoding...&gt;, for instance.

Thanks for the link. That's handy.

You'll also find that most non-Delphi programmers think Hungarian notation is evil (type prefixes).

I know there has been almost religious fervor on this issue. I find Hungarian notation helps me avoid having to search for variables' most recent assignments in order to know what kind of objects they are referencing. I feel it helps me write code more accurately.

Finally, I thought I'd point out that comp.lang.ruby (e.g. on google groups, and relayed to ruby-t...@ruby-lang.org) may be a better place for generic Ruby programming questions.

I agree. Actually, I'm really interested in Ruby nuances in order to write better RoR code, so I hang out on this group. Anyway, as Dave Black stated emphatically in Ruby For Rails, "Rails programs ARE Ruby programs" (or something to that effect.) But if I get more flack about it, I'll do as you suggest.

I wonder what you think of my approach of writing little demos expressing the nuances of various Ruby and Rails issues like the following (which is going to be obsolete in the next version of Ruby, I hear. That is, String[offset] will no longer return a Fixnum.) I like the following "applet" because I can run it months from now and recall at glance the issues exemplified therein.

Best wishes, Richard

def show(stmt)   print stmt   puts "\n=> " + eval(stmt).inspect   puts end

show %@ sString = "abc" asChars = sString.scan(/./) asChars.join('-') # => a-b-c @