Create a helper for models and views?

Hi!

If I have a method that is useful in both models and in views, where would be the appropriate place to put it?

The method in question just takes two dates as strings, tries to parse them and returns all dates in the range between them. It also takes care of the issues when the dates are badly formatted etc etc…

This method is being used in several models (so a simple class method in one model doesn’t seem appropriate) and also in some view helpers.

So, where does this method belong in rails?

And actually, it is used in my controllers as well :slight_smile:

If I have a method that is useful in both models and in views, where would be the appropriate place to put it?

# config/initializer/preload_helpers.rb

require "my_app/my_helper"

# lib/my_app/my_helper.rb ->

module MyHelper   module_function   def helper     puts "win"   end end

# app/helpers/application_helpers.rb ->

class ApplicationHelpers   include MyHelper end

# app/models/my_model.rb ->

class MyModel < ActiveRecord::Base   include Myhelper end

The method in question just takes two dates as strings, tries to parse them and returns all dates in the range between them. It also takes care of the issues when the dates are badly formatted etc etc..

This method is being used in several models (so a simple class method in one model doesn't seem appropriate) and also in some view helpers.

So, where does this method belong in rails?

Read Above.

Additionally, you can put it inside its own class and use that as necessary. It’d be similar to the previous answer, but instead of including that behaviour, you’d get an instance of that class and pass in the strings either in #initialize or the method you use to parse and call that method.

~Spaceghost

Sounds to me like this would be better as a gem, since it seems to be completely independent of the application (and probably have much broader use!)