Confusion on stable development environments

Sorry if I am being a true noob, but I am very confused about what environment I should be using to learn RoR. I would like to eventually build something to deploy on google appengine. But am really just wanting at this point to learn Rails. But it seems that as I fumble about and try various tutorials that are available, I seem to be running to situations where I get some random error, when I google that error, the solutions is a mixed bag of either use a newer version of ruby or rails or some gem, and older version. Other then the (very nice) tutorials on http://guides.rubyonrails.org/, I have had very little luck with the available examples on the web. So my perception is that you really have to know where you will be deploying your application, and then figure out the sweet spot for versions and environments.

So my question is simply, if I want to learn RoR and perhaps eventually deploy something out to some hosting service then: 1) What OS to work in (Windows or Linux)? 2) Ruby or JRuby? 3) Version of Rails? 4) Do I have to worry about where I will be hosting and that services capability BEFORE I start development?

Sorry if I am being a true noob, but I am very confused about what environment I should be using to learn RoR. I would like to eventually build something to deploy on google appengine. But am really just wanting at this point to learn Rails. But it seems that as I fumble

It can be a little confusing just getting into it as there is a lot written about Rails on the web and it's not all current. My advice is that unless the article mentions 3.x, keep looking.

about and try various tutorials that are available, I seem to be running to situations where I get some random error, when I google that error, the solutions is a mixed bag of either use a newer version of ruby or rails or some gem, and older version.

Some of this is accurate... if you're using old versions of rails/ruby/rubygems you can run into some weird errors. If you're running the latest you shouldn't encounter this nearly as much.

Other then the (very nice) tutorials on http://guides.rubyonrails.org/, I have had very little luck with the available examples on the web. So my perception is that you

I would give this a try:

http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book?version=3.2#top

And http://railscasts.com/ is excellent for learning about other things in the Rails world.

So my question is simply, if I want to learn RoR and perhaps eventually deploy something out to some hosting service then: 1) What OS to work in (Windows or Linux)?

I've never done it on Windows, but what I'm told is that it's easier on Linux, but that people have made great strides on the Windows site as well so maybe it's a wash. I personally use Mac and it's just fine. I believe the issues you'll run into with Windows is the occasional gem needing a C library that simply isn't available on Windows. However, for learning... I doubt you'll hit that.

2) Ruby or JRuby?

Ruby.

3) Version of Rails?

4) Do I have to worry about where I will be hosting and that services capability BEFORE I start development?

No, but doesn't hurt to have some idea. Not all hosts support Rails and they don't all support it equally well. Give Heroku a look (they have a free developer plan). People *love* Heroku. Or, if you want to also play around with sysadmin'ing, give linode.com a look.

Good luck!

-philip

philip -- thanks for the suggestions. I purchased the most recent version of Agile Web Development with Rails. (I had been trying to make sense of things with an old version of the book) That version is written to 3.2.2 and seems to be a very complete treatment of the subject. I also walked through the video tutorial from railsinstaller, which sets up git, as well as deployment to engineyard. EY looks very nice, but a bit pricey for hosting of casual development. I will look into Heroku - especially if they have a free developer plan.

-- Mark

I think most developers use Mac or Linux (I use Ubuntu). As there are not so many using Windows it can be more difficult to get help here.

Colin