Community Engagement - Discussion/Feature Requests/Roadmap

Thanks :). I read a few interesting posts on the forum, one was this, it filled me with new hope. It was great to see a productive discussion even on a subjective topic.

I’m trying out Github Projects for PM on the search project. I’ll see how it works, ZenHub is another great alternative. I’m hoping having github issues will let people comment on things openly.

Some of the projects I mentioned above are run by companies who have dedicated PM and community engagement roles assigned. AFAIK, rails is run by volunteers and we don’t have such person.

Looking at it from the point of view of the core team, maybe features do make sense as gems to start with. If so, we can say so in the contribution guide. If we look at the active storage PR, there are over 7K lines and 250 commits. That is a lot of code to review. Reviewing a 1K code PR is hard, let alone 7K one. It is also clear from the PR that a few people from core were paring on it, which made it far easier to review. This is really the path I was interested in discovering. In other words, what can be done day 1 to make it easier and faster to merge new code into rails.