collection_select Selected value

Hello,

I’m trying to use collection select to implement filtering for my page. The idea is there are a bunch of posts and I want to implement record filtering for those.

The first collection box would have parameters like “Date”, “Amount”, “Category” and based on the selection of this a secondary drop down would appear and allow the user to make a selection. The records on this page would be then filtered based on both the selection.

I have been trying out many things and have googled a lot on collection but I have reached a dead end now. I’m pretty new and just started learning ROR.

You help is much appreciated here.

Thanks in advance.

Note: the code below might be wrong and as of now its not even compiling… currently it complaints of “remote_function” not defined…

Hello,

I’m trying to use collection select to implement filtering for my page. The idea is there are a bunch of posts and I want to implement record filtering for those.

The first collection box would have parameters like “Date”, “Amount”, “Category” and based on the selection of this a secondary drop down would appear and allow the user to make a selection. The records on this page would be then filtered based on both the selection.

I have been trying out many things and have googled a lot on collection but I have reached a dead end now. I’m pretty new and just started learning ROR.

You help is much appreciated here.

Thanks in advance.

Note: the code below might be wrong and as of now its not even compiling… currently it complaints of “remote_function” not defined…

remote_function was removed in rails 3.1 (it is still available as part of the prototype-rails (GitHub - rails/prototype-rails: Add RJS, Prototype, and Scriptaculous helpers to Rails 3.1+ apps) gem

In general people are moving away from explicit onchange functions. Instead (using jquery) you’d do somthing like

$(‘#a_select_box’).on(‘change’, function(){

//this javascript is called when the drop down with id a_select_box is changed

})

Fred

Hear, hear! The primary advantage to this sort of construction is that you end up with fewer declared JavaScript functions in the global scope. This has tremendous benefits to page load speed and in-page performance, particularly on tiny devices with limited RAM.

Prototype offers this sort of construction as well, and if you use the prototype_rails gem, you'll see that all of the helpers that make delete buttons work, and data-confirm attributes possible, all work there in exactly the same way, with no inline scripts littering the page.

document.on('change', 'select.chained', function(evt, elm){   // do something with elm here whenever it changes   // since this example is a class-based selector, you apply the   // same behavior to all select tags that have the chained classname });

Walter