Capistrano symlink problem - with ugly hack!

I’m trying to use capistrano (v1.99.0) for the first time (on dreamhost, if that matters) and the deploy:symlink task is creating an unusable symlink. ln -nsf deploy_dir/releases/20070520055816/ deploy_dir/current

appears to work, but “ls -al deploy_dir/current/” yields “No such file or directory”

However, if I cd into deploy_dir and then do ln -nsf releases/20070520055816/ current the symlink works great.

Scratching my head and just trying to get to a solution, I replaced the deploy:symlink task with one that does the change directory and used the shorter symlink command. Its an ugly hack that seems to work, but I shouldn’t have to do it. Has anyone seen a problem like this? Did I miss a step in the process?

stumped, JB

I’m trying to use capistrano (v1.99.0) for the first time (on dreamhost, if that matters) and the deploy:symlink task is creating an unusable symlink. ln -nsf deploy_dir/releases/20070520055816/ deploy_dir/current

appears to work, but “ls -al deploy_dir/current/” yields “No such file or directory”

The first path in the LN cmd should be an absolute path, otherwise you’re in for some surprise down the road. It can be a relative path if you use it in a safe way like your workaround:

However, if I cd into deploy_dir and then do ln -nsf releases/20070520055816/ current the symlink works great.

Still, if “deploy_dir” was an absolute path in the first place then I can’t guess what might have been the problem.