Cannot seem to display Comments on User Show Page

Hello, I have added a comment form to my article show page, but after I submit the comment, I get the following error: Couldn't find Article without an ID. I think it is because the Comments controller does not know which article to add the new comment.

comments_controller:   def create     @article = Article.find(params[:article_id])     @comment = @article.comments.create(params[:comment])     if @comment.save       flash[:success] = "Comment saved."       redirect_to articles_path(@article)     else       render 'show'     end   end

article show page: <% @article.comments.each do |comment| %>   <%= comment.title %>   <%= comment.content %>   <%= comment.user %> <% end %>

<%= form_for([@article, @article.comments.build]) do |f| %>   <%= render 'shared/error_messages', :object => f.object %>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :title %><br />     <%= f.text_field :title %>   </div>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :content %><br />     <%= f.text_area :content %>   </div>   <div class="actions">     <%= f.submit "Post Comment" %>   </div> <% end %>

I am trying to follow this guide:

Thanks.

It would help to know the URL your being redirected to... but I see one potential issue:

if @comment.save       flash[:success] = "Comment saved."       redirect_to articles_path(@article)     else       render 'show'     end

Lets pretened your comment failed to save... your rendering show... Show what? By default your going to render the comment#show action with no ID. You want to be rendering articles/show i assume.

I figured out the problem with the original post, but I have a new problem. When a user submits an invalid comment(if the title or content does not validate correctly), they get sent back to the article. There are two problems, though.

1. The form does not keep the previous field content, so the form resets. 2. All the comments disappear.

Articles controller:

def show     @article = Article.find(params[:id])     @comments = @article.comments.paginate(:page => params[:page])     @title = @article.title   end

Comments controller:

def create     @article = Article.find(params[:article_id])     @comment = @article.comments.build(params[:comment])     @comment.user_id = current_user.id     if @comment.save       flash[:success] = "Comment saved."       redirect_to @article     else       flash[:error] = "Error in creating comment."       render 'articles/show'     end   end

Here's the comment form and the comment display code, if you need it:

Comment Form: <%= form_for([@article, @article.comments.build]) do |f| %>   <%= render 'shared/error_messages', :object => f.object %>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :title %><br />     <%= f.text_field :title %>   </div>   <div class="field">     <%= f.label :content %><br />     <%= f.text_area :content %>   </div>   <div class="actions">     <%= f.submit "Post Comment" %>   </div> <% end %>

shared/_comments.html.erb: <% unless @comments.nil? || @comments.empty? %>     <%= render :partial => 'shared/comment', :collection => @comments %>   <%= will_paginate @comments %> <% end %>

shared/_comment.html.erb <%= comment.title %><br /> <%= comment.content %><br /> <%= comment.user.name %><br /><br />

Thank you.

You almost have it all correct, just in your view:

<%= form_for([@article, @comment]) do |f| %>

Fernando Perez wrote:

--

http://digiprof.tv

That worked excellently.

I have one more question about the same set of files. I want to add a link for editing the comments on the article show page, but I am getting an error. This is the code I am using to display the edit comment link: <%= link_to "Edit Comment", edit_comment_path(comment) %>

Here is the error I get: undefined method `edit_comment_path' for #<#<Class:0xa2f2c90>:0xa2f04f4>

I think the reason I get the error is that I am using the code in the article show page, which is in the article controller, and so there is no predefined path to 'edit_comment_path'. Is there a way to access the path inside of article and send the object 'comment' to it?

Kelp Kelp wrote:

Fernando Perez wrote:

--

http://digiprof.tv

That worked excellently.

I have one more question about the same set of files. I want to add a link for editing the comments on the article show page, but I am getting an error. This is the code I am using to display the edit comment link: <%= link_to "Edit Comment", edit_comment_path(comment) %>

Here is the error I get: undefined method `edit_comment_path' for #<#<Class:0xa2f2c90>:0xa2f04f4>

I think the reason I get the error is that I am using the code in the article show page, which is in the article controller, and so there is no predefined path to 'edit_comment_path'. Is there a way to access the path inside of article and send the object 'comment' to it?

Okay, I found out that I should be using edit_article_comment_path(comment) to compensate for the comment resource being inside the article resource.

But my edit link goes to: http://localhost:3000/articles/320/comments/297/edit, when it should go to http://localhost:3000/articles/297/comments/320/edit.

The ID's are reversed for some reason. Here is the edit method of the comments controller:   def edit     @comment = Comment.find(params[:id])     @article = Article.find(params[:article_id])     @title = "Edit Comment"   end

PsiPro wrote:

It would help to know the URL your being redirected to... but I see one potential issue:

if @comment.save       flash[:success] = "Comment saved."       redirect_to articles_path(@article)     else       render 'show'     end

Lets pretened your comment failed to save... your rendering show... Show what? By default your going to render the comment#show action with no ID. You want to be rendering articles/show i assume.

Oops, I forgot to mention that I made some changes to the code in the above posts. That's correct, though. I had to change it to articles/show. I still cannot figure out this problem: My edit link(when using goes to: http://localhost:3000/articles/320/comments/297/edit, when it should go to http://localhost:3000/articles/297/comments/320/edit.

Is there a problem with my articles show page:   def show     @article = Article.find(params[:id])     @comments = @article.comments.paginate(:page => params[:page])     @comment = Comment.new     @title = @article.title   end

Maybe some confusion with the IDs?