Canadian payment processors and rails integration

This is a call out to my Canuck Brethren or one of from the cool Shopify team?

Can anyone comment on using ActiveMerchant processing cards in Canada?

I'm attempting to integrate payment processing, and am looking for a Canadian payment solution that has:

1. api integration support for canada (paypal falls out here) - don't want the member to leave our site 2. provides (virtual) merchant accounts (as our banks are still placing the bar too high)

Internetsecure (www.internetsecure.com) seems to fit the bill. Any +/-'s on different processors?

Thanx for your thoughts. Jodi

I am using OnlineMart.ca ( subsidiary of TD bank, outsourced to Bean Stream ). Works good for me, but I am using my own class.

All the Best! Sergey.

Jodi Showers wrote:

1. api integration support for canada (paypal falls out here) - don't want the member to leave our site 2. provides (virtual) merchant accounts (as our banks are still placing the bar too high)

These two things are mutually exclusive. #2 is what is called a third party billing company, and if you read the contract they are actually the merchant. They all read a bit differently but the bottom line is still the same, the underwriting bank considers them the merchant, and the transaction must happen on their website. This applies in all countries.

thanx.

Perhaps my domain language is the problem here.

Although they may be considered the "merchant", api access is
definitely possible (such as PayPal Websites Payments Pro).

As another example, InternetSecure (www.internetsecure.com) offers
full API support (customer doesn't leave our site). They provide a
'virtual merchant account', and funds are deposited into our Canadian
bank account. Plus on the credit card statement, the buyer sees our
company name as the vendor. The tradeoff is of course transaction
commissions, but in the end we are the Merchant without negotiating
with a bank manager.

Cheers, Jodi General Partner The nNovation Group inc. www.nnovation.ca/blog

I wasn't aware internetsecure did that. Paypal is a special case since they do so much volume. Also, you are very limited in other ways. For example with paypal payments pro you cannot save the customer information such as the email address, it's right in their contract. They don't seem to enforce it that I know of, but they can if they choose. You also have to offer the regular paypal as a prominent option.

What is the roadblock in canada, is it the price? Years back when I did some work with IBM integrating with canadian banks you had to get two merchant accounts, one for visa and one for mastercard. Is that still the case?

Chris

Jodi,

TrustCommerce (www.trustcommerce.com) handles a ton of currencies including Canadian. They also resale merchant accounts from a partner - I don't remember which one...

If you're doing recurring/subscription billing I wrote a rails plugin for TC: http://svn.depixelate.com/plugins/trustcommerce_subscription

I'd be interested to see how Internetsecure is - I wish I had known about them when I researched my options. In the end TC had the best API support for what I needed at the time. Make sure you negociate on the transaction prices.

Good luck,

Chris:    I tried to get a merchant account a couple of years ago, and the barrier was very high - they wanted multiple thousands of dollars upfront, plus a business plan review in consideration. Much has been said about Canadian banks (their enormous profits) and their risk aversion. Their stance may have changed since then.

Zach: Thanx a bunch for the reference. ActiveMerchant seems to support TrustCommerce as well Moneris in Canada (not sure if Moneris provides merchant accounts?).

What has turned you off TrustCommerce?

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Jodi

TrustCommerce (www.trustcommerce.com) handles a ton of currencies including Canadian. They also resale merchant accounts from a partner - I don't remember which one...

Currency conversion happens at the bank, it's automatic, and it has nothing to do with the payment gateway, regardless of what they say. Some providers offer a service that displays the conversion rate at the time of purchase, but it really has no relation to the actual conversion that happens at the bank level.

Chris

Jodi,

Nothing has turned me off about TrustCommerce except that one sales guy we had at first....

Actually I must say I'm very happy with them so far. They have a good API, good documentation and very helpful support staff. At first I had a few questions on how to implement a specific item with the API and the response was within an hour or two.

Good luck.