Can map.root to point to a static html file in public dir?

Hi all,

I'm trying to get map.root to point to a static html file in the public directory. I can't just have index.html since I'm doing subdomains and any index.html file in there will be used as the actual page displayed.

Basically I can point to my subdomain roots just fine, but I need to find a way to point map.root to a specific html file. For example, something like this: map.root :url => 'homepage.html'

That example doesn't work obviously.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. If you need any more info, please let me know! Thanks.

-Tony

Sorry, missing something here --

What's the difference between using static file "index.html" and static file "homepage.html"?

Hassan Schroeder wrote:

I'm trying to get map.root to point to a static html file in the public directory. I can't just have index.html since I'm doing subdomains and any index.html file in there will be used as the actual page displayed.

Sorry, missing something here --

What's the difference between using static file "index.html" and static file "homepage.html"?

-- Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.schroeder@gmail.com

Hi Hassan,

Rails automatically picks up 'index.html' as the root page for the site. Whether it's a subdomain (ex. user.app.com) or the actual domain (app.com), if the 'index.html' is present then it is picked up as the root.

What I want is to have my subdomain root (ex. user.app.com) to point to the user login page (which I currently have working) and the domain root (ex. app.com) to have a typical welcome/signup index page. This index page is going to be 100% static so I'd prefer to just have it as a file (say homepage.html) in the public directory. I realize I could get this working by creating a 'page' controller and view and then direct map.root to that specific controller/view but I think cutting down on unnecessary rails calls would be best.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

-Tony

Perhaps someone else will chime in with an alternative, but I think fighting this convention will be more trouble than its worth :slight_smile:

Hi, when someone goes to app.com, you would like it to go to the

homepage.html. Thus, you can do one of the following:

a) Apache

i) Update the following in your httpd.conf file:

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.php homepage.html

ii) Upload the file (i.e. homepage.html) to public directory of your Rails application.

Note: This should do the job for you.

b) Rails Caching

i) Turn page caching on for a view template (i.e. homepage.html.erb) and

ii) update you map.root

map.root :controller => “index”, :action => “homepage”

Note: This will cache the static content (i.e. homepage.html) within your public folder. Thus, it will be served by

Apache or the web server that you’re using.

In short, the standard way of providing the root page of a web site is to use an index.[php|html|htm|…] but feel free to use one

of the methods above to achieve your result.

Good luck,

-Conrad

Conrad Taylor wrote:

In short, the standard way of providing the root page of a web site is to use an index.[php|html|htm|...] but feel free to use one of the methods above to achieve your result.

Good luck,

-Conrad

FANTASTIC! Thanks a lot for the detailed post.

-Tony