Calendar Solution

Hi, I have a requirement in a project to have something like a "group calendar" meaning that I am going to have several different calendar (one per person) that are going to cross some global calendar (local and national holydays, for example).

I was thinking that maybe vPIM or iCalendar would to the trick while giving me RFC compliance along the way. But the thing that bothers me is that they are file-based. So each calendar is stored in a .ics file instead of a database.

The problem is: how do I use vPIM or iCalendar to cross multiple calendars events? I also think it would not be scalable to load the full .ics file for each logged in user in a RoR app, right?

What would be a better solution? Maybe installing a full iCal Server (Apple's?) and creating some sort of web-service-like integration from RoR to this server?

Anyone has any experience on the matter? Googling around yielded nothing useful so far.

Hi, I have a requirement in a project to have something like a "group calendar" meaning that I am going to have several different calendar (one per person) that are going to cross some global calendar (local and national holydays, for example).

I was thinking that maybe vPIM or iCalendar would to the trick while giving me RFC compliance along the way. But the thing that bothers me is that they are file-based. So each calendar is stored in a .ics file instead of a database.

The problem is: how do I use vPIM or iCalendar to cross multiple calendars events? I also think it would not be scalable to load the full .ics file for each logged in user in a RoR app, right?

What would be a better solution? Maybe installing a full iCal Server (Apple's?) and creating some sort of web-service-like integration from RoR to this server?

Anyone has any experience on the matter? Googling around yielded nothing useful so far.