cache_classes = true causes application to fail

Hi,

I am using rails 2.3.2, apache 2.2, active scaffold, and mongel. I was caught by surprise when an application that was working started to fail. Digging into things showed that the error occurred when cache_classes = true (even though it worked this way before, setting cache_class to false now fixed the problem). Naturally, this is not an actual fix for a production application, as it has slowed way down. I have seen in other posts that people had problems with running rake in production with active scaffold, but have not seen others with this problem, where the web server fails to start. Does anyone know any more information about cache_classes? Since it seems to work then the code keeps getting reloaded, is it possible that I need to manually clear this cache somewhere? Could this problem be related to Active Scaffold? Thank you for any information!

Steve

Hi,

I am using rails 2.3.2, apache 2.2, active scaffold, and mongel. I was caught by surprise when an application that was working started to fail. Digging into things showed that the error occurred when cache_classes = true (even though it worked this way before, setting cache_class to false now fixed the problem). Naturally, this is not an actual fix for a production application, as it has slowed way down. I have seen in other posts that people had problems with running rake in production with active scaffold, but have not seen others with this problem, where the web server fails to start. Does anyone know any more information about cache_classes? Since it seems to work then the code keeps getting reloaded, is it possible that I need to manually clear this cache somewhere? Could this problem be related to Active Scaffold? Thank you for any information!

cache_class=true means (among other things) that code gets loaded up front when the application starts. One way this can go wrong is at the bottom of environment.rb and requiring dependencies - Space Vatican

Fred