Button that doesn't submit

Is there a way to put a button on a view that doesn;t do a "submit" but executes a method in the controller? -Janna

Look at the button_to methods... although by default they create a form to your action and submit it you can control the method... not a good idea to embed that within another form though.

Yes, I tried that:

<%= button_to "Manual Up", :action => "manup" %>

Then, in my controller I have it either rendering nothing or a partial. But it renders a blank page even though the partial is embedded deep within divs of another partial. So whether I tell it to render nothing, or just the deeply-buried partial, it takes me to a blank page! (I think it is because it is actually a submit. I can confrim my controller method is being executed_ -Janna

Yes, I tried that:

<%= button_to "Manual Up", :action => "manup" %>

Then, in my controller I have it either rendering nothing or a partial. But it renders a blank page even though the partial is embedded deep within divs of another partial. So whether I tell it to render nothing, or just the deeply-buried partial, it takes me to a blank page! (I think it is because it is actually a submit. I can confrim my controller method is being executed_ -Janna

So you only want it to replace a partial on the page? If so, you
probably want button_to_remote...