bundler 1.0.0 RC makes me crazy

Hi everybody!

We recently upgraded to Rails 3 RC which requires new bundler 1.0.0 RC. After a day wasted trying to make it work we now give up.

Our config is as following: — Debian — Ruby Enterprise — Rails 3 RC — Apache — Passenger

We are stuck with following error thrown at us by passenger: git://github.com/odorcicd/authlogic.git (at rails3) is not checked out. Please run `bundle install` (Bundler::PathError)

Though until this upgrade everyting worked well.

We already tried to clean up all bundler caches, delete all gems, reinstall passenger and Ruby Enterprise but nothing helps so far.

Somebody help! :slight_smile:

We are stuck with following error thrown at us by passenger: git://github.com/odorcicd/authlogic.git (at rails3) is not checked out. Please run `bundle install` (Bundler::PathError)

We have exactly the same problem with slightly different server config. Somehow Bundler, Passenger or whatever is not finding gems which are installed directly from git repos. If I vendor git gems like this:

gem "state_machine", :path => 'vendor/git/state_machine'

instead of

gem "state_machine", :git => 'git://github.com/pluginaweek/state_machine.git'

gems are loaded, but that's not a good solution for a long run since we have about 10 gems from git repos.

It seems that Bundler or Passenger has difficulties to load git gems because they are not installed to same gem directory. "bundle show" gives this output:

bundle show rspec-core (gem from git repo) /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.01/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/bundler/gems/rspec-core-3c32ce5

bundle show thin (gem from rubygems) /opt/ruby-enterprise-1.8.7-2010.01/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thin-1.2.7

Any help would be appreciated. Should I somehow add 'bundler/gems' directory to some path variable or what?

We have seen a number of reports of this error ("git://git/repo (at branch) is not checked out. Please run `bundle install`". This is a serious issue and we're actively investigating it (by actively, I mean it's what we're going to be working on tomorrow).

Please hang on. We should have another RC in the next day or so that resolves this issue.

Thanks for your patience!

-- Yehuda Katz

Still no luck with Bundler 1.0.0 rc.2. I'm using bundler with --production switch. Despite that the same issue keeps appearing. Dunno if I'm doing something wrong or is it a unresolved bug.

Matias Käkelä wrote:

Still no luck with Bundler 1.0.0 rc.2.

Same for me.

Ivan Brykov wrote:

Matias Käkelä wrote:

Still no luck with Bundler 1.0.0 rc.2.

Same for me.

Ok, a workaround for the issue is to chmod 777 -R the vendor/gems directory. That seemed to make it work.

Matias Käkelä wrote:

Ok, a workaround for the issue is to chmod 777 -R the vendor/gems directory. That seemed to make it work.

Couldn't find such path under our Rails root. I created 'gems' directory in [Rails root]/vendor but still no luck.

Ivan Brykov wrote:

Matias Käkelä wrote:

Couldn't find such path under our Rails root. I created 'gems' directory in [Rails root]/vendor but still no luck.

Vendor gems is a custom directory supplied with --path switch. Default with --production switch should be vendor/bundle.

Does this mean that vendor/gems is owned by a different user than the one booting the server?

Yehuda Katz wrote:

Does this mean that vendor/gems is owned by a different user than the one booting the server?

No, to isolate the issue, we've been running everything as root, nginx, bundler, etc.

naturally vendor/gems is owned by root, but still bundler/passenger has issues if vendor/gems is not world writable.

It's still possible that the Ruby processes are being run as a different user. Can you run ps and take a look?

-- Yehuda

Yehuda Katz wrote:

It's still possible that the Ruby processes are being run as a different user. Can you run ps and take a look?

Thanks, it wasn't obvious to check the ownership of each and every process. Alas, this might have been the culprit:

nobody 10560 1.2 2.0 190736 83916 ? S 19:34 0:05 Rack: /var/www/html/app/current

I'm now using passenger_default_user option in nginx config. Let's hope that that'll fix the issue.

Can you ls -alt vendor/gems?

I'm really curious about this and want to get to the bottom of it.

-- Yehuda

Yehuda Katz wrote:

Can you ls -alt vendor/gems?

I'm really curious about this and want to get to the bottom of it.

-- Yehuda

Yes I can. Should I see something worthwhile with that command?

Btw. unfortunately I'm going on holidays on tomorrow, so I'm not able to access the server for a while. I can ask my colleague to follow this thread though.

Output currently:

[root@srv current]# ls -alt vendor/gems lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 42 Jul 30 16:38 vendor/gems -> /var/www/html/app/shared/gem

Just upgraded to bundler 1.0.0. rc3. Nothing has changed. When can I expect working solution?

I'm in the same boat: bundler 1.0.0.rc3 cant find the gems that are pulled from git.. Any idea when we might get a solution to this? Or is this a Passenger bug?

Same here. Although the work around suggested earlier (chmod 777 vendor/gems) works.

We have exactly the same problem with slightly different server config. Somehow Bundler, Passenger or whatever is not finding gems which are installed directly from git repos. If I vendor git gems like this:

We have the exact same issue, Matias. It only occurred today after we switched to Ruby Enterprise Edition, which I see you are using as well.

ME TOO!

and here is a backtrace. Using latest rvm (0.1.46), passenger, ruby 1.9.2-p0 (the new official release), latest rails master and bundler rc5. the trace shows that the correct bundler is used (from rvm ruby-1.9.2-p0 environment). "bundle check" reports nothing, "rails server" works just fine. I tried chmod 777-ing the vender directory, no luck. The only thing that changed during the last few weeks were the various new bundler RCs, new ruby (from svn), new rvm-versions (as they happened), and new Rails-updates (daily fresh from github). I think one of the bundler-rc updates must be the reason - passenger has remained the same for a while after all, and not too long ago (days?) everything still worked.

Ruby (Rack) application could not be started These are the possible causes: