Building a "between filter"? Any ideas welcome..

Hi,

I'm sure there's a good way to solve this problem and I'm hoping for some insight into the best approach.

I'd like to be able to fire a "filter" event off _between_ the action and the view. Right now, as I understand it, filters work like so:

BEFORE FILTERS RUN ACTION RUNS VIEW PROCESSING OCCURS (several steps) AFTER FILTERS RUN

I'd like to find a way to add additional events so that:

BEFORE FILTERS RUN ACTION RUNS ==> "BETWEEN FILTERS" run VIEW PROCESSING OCCURS (several steps) AFTER FILTERS RUN

Does anyone have any ideas? Maybe there's a major architectural reason why this is a Bad Idea, but I'd like it for setting up generic view- related state data that depends on the results of the action. For example, let's say I want to create some meta-tags that have some dependency on business logic and processing that occurs in the action. I'd like to construct an array of meta-tag elements in the "between filter" and make them available to every view in that controller.

Right now, I'm putting a "generate_meta_tags" method at the end of every action, but that doesn't seem like the "Rails way." Any suggestions are welcome, and apologies if this is a bone-headed question to which any moron would already know the answer! : )

Steve