Break Point not working in Ruby 1.8.5?

This has something to do with the call_stack gem. Nevertheless, I find ruby-debug far more productive. Give it a try.

http://www.datanoise.com/articles/2006/07/12/tutorial-on-ruby-debug

I've never tried it on Windows, but it works like a charm on a Mac. If you do try it and it works on Win32, that would be good to know.

Mike-293 wrote:

I typically put the require statement at the top of the file under test, but in any case, I cranked this whole thing up in Parallels on my Mac and repro'ed your error. Here's how to fix it:

# top of file require 'rubygems' # not sure this is necessary require 'ruby-debug' Debugger.start

Then someplace else in your program, put:

debugger

and you'll have a breakpoint. I'd be curious to understand why this is necessary.

Steve

Al Evans-2 wrote:

I do must of my debugging using logs. On the rare occasion when I need to examine something in a debugger, ruby-debug is far superior. Typically, what I would be looking at with a debugger are code paths and data state changes, neither of which breakpointer helps out with much.

--steve

Joshua Muheim-2 wrote:

Steve... I'm also on InstantRails/Windows and tried the suggestions in this thread... Two things:

1. I had to add: require 'ruby-debug-base' to get this to work 2. my 'debugger' command doesn't make anything happen.

I tried it with and without the require 'rubygems' and that didn't make any difference.

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks...jon

Any errors or just a quiet failure?

Also are you doing:

ruby script\server webrick

to get your app running?

To be honest, I don't develop on Windows, so my test was on a hand-built Ruby/MySQL/Rails install, not instant rails.

--steve

JESii wrote:

Quiet failure; I'm running Mongrel, but it's the same with webrick... I saw that you're on Mac (nice setup; wish I were there :slight_smile:

Thanks, Steve.... your feedback is much appreciated...jon

Thank you. Out of curiosity, may I ask what the issue was that caused you to break out the debugger? I've always been a fan of debuggers -- that is, until I began Rails programming. The combination of tests and the logger has been adequate for over 90% of my debugging needs.

--steve

Joshua Muheim-2 wrote:

Bharat... Thanks very much for getting back to me... here's what is happening.

1. I followed the instructions you and Steve discussed. It failed for me, but I got it to work by requiring 'ruby-debug-base' instead. 2. The require 'rubygems' is not necessary; I tried it both ways. 3. No browser hang - it just goes about its normal behavior and nothing in the mongrel window.

I definitely agree with the assessment about InstantRails. I do have some issues with it, but they are relatively minor at this point. I wish I could say the same thing about RadRails which I do use, but which is completely broken for updates. At least what I have seems to be holding together moderately well.

Thanks again...jon

Bharat... "quiet failure" just means that nothing happened: no error messages, no browser hang, no information in the server log.

BTW, I have read the Lenz book as well, along with two other books I am working on: "Ruby for Rails" (David Black) and "Agile Web Development with Rails" (Thomas & Hanssen) - both very good.

Re "formatted log viewing" - I don't know if this is what you mean, but I use vim (Vi Improved - www.vim.org). They have several really nice plugins for ruby/rails. If you're a vim person (I've used it for many years), then you'll love this software, and it's free and very well supported.

Cheers...jon

I was having problems getting the right syntax to get the logger to work for me (wanted to look at some session variables)... I finally figured out what I was doing wrong and so now my logger stuff is working. At this point, I figured I'd just try to get the debugger working for whenever I might need it in the future. Actually not needed right this moment.

Cheers...jon

yeah, cygwin would have been my recommendation. Really, all you are looking for is something with tail capabilities that understands terminal escape sequences. I prefer to keep environments similar, where possible, so cygwin makes sense. That way, whether I'm on Windows or *nix, ls works, tail works, and so on.

Many Windows editors sense external modifications to files, but seldom do they put you at the end of the file automagically. Alternatively, just write a simple "tail" utility in C or Ruby (not very DRY :).

--steve

Joshua Muheim-2 wrote:

FYI... I've got MKS toolkit, which is very nice; having used that for quite some time, it's a little hard to switch over to cygwin: I keep getting bitten by cygwin's c-drive references.

...jon

Bharat Ruparel wrote:

I am glad that you brought up logs. Do you know an effective way of viewing "formatted" log in Windows environment? In linux, the less command does a great job of showing formatted entries. I have not been able to replicate it in the Windows environment. I do not want to use Cygwin since I have a dual boot machine and I can boot into Linux if I want to.

Well, it's no substitute for a good command-line shell, but RadRails has a "tail" function for log files. Just right-click on the log file in the file navigator and choose "Tail". Also, if you run mongrel (or webrick) from within RadRails, it puts the mongrel output to a console. So, stdout (puts) goes to the mongrel output and rails logging (logger) goes to the console tailing the development.log.

b

Sorry, apparently I've missed this thread. The installation procedure of ruby-debug on Windows should be the same as on any other platform. The only difference is that you have to select mswin32 version of ruby-debug-base:

C:\>gem in ruby-debug Bulk updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32) 1. ruby-debug 0.8.1 (ruby) 2. ruby-debug 0.8 (ruby) 3. ruby-debug 0.7.5 (mswin32) 4. ruby-debug 0.7.5 (ruby) 5. Skip this gem 6. Cancel installation

Install required dependency ruby-debug-base? [Yn] y Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32) 1. ruby-debug-base 0.8.1 (mswin32) 2. ruby-debug-base 0.8.1 (ruby) 3. Skip this gem 4. Cancel installation

Successfully installed ruby-debug-0.8.1 Successfully installed ruby-debug-base-0.8.1-mswin32 Installing ri documentation for ruby-debug-0.8.1... Installing ri documentation for ruby-debug-base-0.8.1-mswin32... Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-debug-0.8.1... Installing RDoc documentation for ruby-debug-base-0.8.1-mswin32...

The easiest way of debugging your Rails application is to run it with rdebug script:

C:\rails-app>rdebug ./script/server

It should work with webrick or mongrel. If you use rdebug script you don't have to require ruby-debug in your environment.rb file and to start the debugger with Debugger.start method. Of course, you still have to set your breakpoints either explicitly using debugger's 'break' command or via Kernel#debugger method.

Kent.

Thanks, Kent... using redbug as you suggested did the trick.

I am curious as to why the other approach didn't work... any thoughts on that?

Cheers...jon

Bharat... There is a ruby/rails plugin for vim that does it for me, as I recall. I tried getting to the vim.org site, and it seems to be having problems. The plugin that I use is by Tim Pope, and you can reach him at "tim - AT - pope.info" He was very helpful when I was setting it up. It's a VERY extensive plugin, and worked right out of the box for me.

Here's a dump of my log; it doesn't show the coloring and highlighting that my gvim gives me, so it's much nicer than it looks here. (E.g., the "DEPRECATION WARNING" is highlighted in red...)

Cheers...jon

Processing AssetController#index (for 10.0.0.152 at 2007-03-25 12:18:26) [GET]   Session ID: 4cfdd7473a144e83709d3cd9463289f3   Parameters: {"action"=>"index", "controller"=>"asset"} Redirected to http://edp18:3010/asset/list Completed in 0.00010 (10000 reqs/sec) | DB: 0.00000 (0%) | 302 Found [http://edp18/asset\] DEPRECATION WARNING: model is deprecated and will be removed from Rails 2.0 See http://www.rubyonrails.org/deprecation for details. (called from C:/Dev/INSTAN~1/rails_apps/AssetList/config/../app/controllers/application.r b:11) DEPRECATION WARNING: depend_on is deprecated and will be removed from Rails 2.0 See http://www.rubyonrails.org/deprecation for details. (called from model_without_deprecation at C:/Dev/INSTAN~1/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.2/lib/action_con troller/deprecated_dependencies.rb:13)   User Columns (0.015000) SHOW FIELDS FROM users

Processing AssetController#list (for 10.0.0.152 at 2007-03-25 12:18:27) [GET]   Session ID: 4cfdd7473a144e83709d3cd9463289f3   Parameters: {"action"=>"list", "controller"=>"asset"}   Asset Columns (0.000000) SHOW FIELDS FROM assets Rendering layoutfalsetemplateajax_scaffold/list.rhtml within layouts/asset Rendering ajax_scaffold/list.rhtml Start rendering component ({:action=>"table", :params=>{"action"=>"list", "controller"=>"asset"}, :controller=>"/asset"}):