Book Recommendation for fast drop into webdesign

hello,

I did some web design quite a while ago and now i have some time to get back into it but i want it as fast as possible and what i'm really lacking is some good resource how to restart.

it's like that i need the general html design patterns plus css in an accesible way.

then i want to go dymanic with ruby on rails.

i couldn't find any book that is not mainly html for beginners or just a reference or creating some very particular design but one that talks about how various often encountered design solutions are usually done today. it maybe would be a lot on css but i don't want to learn a lot of attributes, just the general principles and then maybe an editor which does display all propertys i can sensefully set (maybe i'll use coda?).

so thanks a lot for reading this and i hope to hear of some book or something online i can use to dive faster than just looking at various modern sites' sourcecode.

jeffrey

Jeffrey Goines wrote:

hello,

I did some web design quite a while ago and now i have some time to get back into it but i want it as fast as possible and what i'm really lacking is some good resource how to restart.

it's like that i need the general html design patterns plus css in an accesible way.

then i want to go dymanic with ruby on rails.

i couldn't find any book that is not mainly html for beginners or just a reference or creating some very particular design but one that talks about how various often encountered design solutions are usually done today. it maybe would be a lot on css but i don't want to learn a lot of attributes, just the general principles and then maybe an editor which does display all propertys i can sensefully set (maybe i'll use coda?).   

It's not HTML but I really enjoyed reading "Stylin' with CSS: A Designer's Guide" - I thought it was written in a very accessible manner and it helped me, a CSS-nobody to get a reasonably good idea of the basics so that my sites stopped looking ugly.

Cheers, Mohit. 11/10/2008 | 3:24 AM.

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:

It's not HTML but I really enjoyed reading "Stylin' with CSS: A Designer's Guide" - I thought it was written in a very accessible manner and it helped me, a CSS-nobody to get a reasonably good idea of the basics so that my sites stopped looking ugly.

Mohit, thank you so much for telling me, I guess this book is very very close to what I was looking for!!

It's not available at my University but I'm reading it now on safaribooksonline (trial) and find that very convenient.

Jeffrey Goines wrote:

Mohit Sindhwani wrote:   

It's not HTML but I really enjoyed reading "Stylin' with CSS: A Designer's Guide" - I thought it was written in a very accessible manner and it helped me, a CSS-nobody to get a reasonably good idea of the basics so that my sites stopped looking ugly.      Mohit, thank you so much for telling me, I guess this book is very very close to what I was looking for!!

It's not available at my University but I'm reading it now on safaribooksonline (trial) and find that very convenient.   

Glad to help! I'm more of an engineer and it brought me just enough knowledge :slight_smile:

Cheers, Mohit. 11/12/2008 | 12:56 AM.