book about rails internals

Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

None as of today. People do submit proposals to write about that topic, including me myself. It is a very interesting topic that in my opinion would interest most Rails developers. Since we are a notably curious community (my appreciation). I hope some book will be eventually published.

-- fxn

David Black's book "Ruby for Rails" has a chapter called 'Techniques for exploring the Rails source code' which is the closest thing I've come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding through the code.

-bakki

Yeah, I have that book and have read the chapter. Thanks for the input tho.

Chris

Hi~

Yeah, I have that book and have read the chapter. Thanks for the input tho.

Chris

David Black's book "Ruby for Rails" has a chapter called 'Techniques for exploring the Rails source code' which is the closest thing I've come across to what you are asking for. It is a very short chapter of only 15 pages unfortunately and so there is not a lot of hand holding through the code.

-bakki

Are there any books currently available that discuss topics related more about the Rails core code than on how to 'use' Rails?

I just gave a talk entitled "Exploring the Request/Response Lifecycle through the Mongrel and Rails Source Code" I posted the slides online here:

http://brainspl.at/articles/2007/02/15/exploring-the-request-lifecycle-through-the-mongrel-and-rails-source-code

It's not as good without audio but it takes a tour through the rails source from the perspective of a request response cycle.

Cheers- -- Ezra Zygmuntowicz-- Lead Rails Evangelist -- ez@engineyard.com -- Engine Yard, Serious Rails Hosting -- (866) 518-YARD (9273)