Blackberry & handhelds

I notice when I go to a site like schwab.com, they have their full format page come up when I log on via a computer. However, if I log on via my blackberry, it;s dramatically stripped down.

I realise much of this is done by my blackberry - the disregarding of graphics, not paying attention to tables, etc. But is there a way to discern if someone is logging in via a handheld device as opposed to a computer, and route to a more appropriate view? Thanks, Janna

One way is work exactly as usual but be careful that your css etc. degrades gracefully.

Another involves creainge a fake format (eg :phone) and set the format to that in a before filter if the user agent matches something relevant or if the user has gone to a relevant subdomain (eg mobile.foo.co). Along side your html.erb template you'd have a phone.erb template with dumbed down content/presentation/etc. Rails will pick that template automatically when appropriate and of course you get to use respond_to (see http://www.slashdotdash.net/2007/12/04/iphone-on-rails-creating-an-iphone-optimised-version-of-your-rails-site-using-iui-and-rails-2/ for an example of this).

Fred

A minor quibble: translating a data-rich application from a full-size computer screen to be usable and useful on a tiny screen shouldn't be thought of as "dumbing down" -- it's refactoring that application's information architecture/presentation to better address the needs of the mobile user.

Sometimes more easily accomplished than others. :slight_smile:

FWIW!

Yes and it appears Rails may be particularly good at doing exactly the! Thank you both for your postings. -Janna