respond_to and format

Hi,

I'm creating a new format for an iPhone/iPod connections.

My problem is that iPhones/iPods always receive the .html pages.

If I comment the format.html # index.html.erb then the devices receive the .xml format, and If I coment this one they receive the format.iphone wich is the expected.

In the .html pages I add some code to test if the device is really an iPhone or not:

<% if iphone_user_agent? # Show message for iPhone users -%> <div class="message">     <p>Using an iPhone? <a href="Foo.com the optimised version</a>.</p> </div> <%else%> <p>Welcome iPhone user!</p> <% end -%>

And when the device is an iPhone/iPod I get the Using an iPhone? message ...

Of course I'm connecting from an iPhone/iPod or through the iPhone simulator from Xcode.

When I use a simple browser from a computer I expect the .html versions, wich I'm receiving as default no matter wich device/browser is connected.

What did I miss ?

thanks,

r.

In config/initializers/mime_types.rb

# Be sure to restart your server when you modify this file.

# Add new mime types for use in respond_to blocks: # Mime::Type.register "text/richtext", :rtf Mime::Type.register_alias "text/html", :iphone

class ScannsController < ApplicationController

around_filter :login_required

def index

@scanns = Scann.find_by_sql("SELECT * FROM totals_diaris_avui")     @page_title="Scanns of today"

respond_to do |format|         format.iphone # action.iphone.erb       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @scanns }       end

end

end

Raimon Fs wrote:

respond_to do |format|         format.iphone # action.iphone.erb       format.html # index.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @scanns }

It may require someone else to answer this properly however I think you are getting confused about what will actually happen:

The iphone will always receive the html pages because the webserver/rails app by default will look for html pages.

for example:

1) http://www.mysite.com/ #=> deafult format.html 2) http://www.mysite.com/index.xml #=> format.xml 3) http://www.mysite.com/index.iphone #=> format.iphone

Perhaps you could change default route to point to index.iphone when you use your subdomain. You'd then need to ensure all your links used the .iphone extension.

Unless there is someway to force the default format from html to 'iphone'? Wouldn't surprise me if it was possible, however, you'd need to look it up...

Cheers Luke

Hello,

ok, I solved it with the hard-way ...

:slight_smile:

I was not setting the format to iphone correctly in the application controller, the iPhone format only was available if the user connects from a subdomain iphone.mywebpage.com or via a custom parameter, format=iPhone.

As I'm developing locally with the 127.0.0.1 I don't have a quick-way to simulate iphone.127.0.0.1 or something similar, so I change the method and simply if the user connected is from an iPhone/iPod I show their pages directly.

I'll think in a better solution, but as this is for a test purposes, at this moment it's ok.

thanks,

r.