Big performance issues regarding the browser

Hi !

I have a ruby server set up running Ruby v1.8.7 and those gems : actionmailer (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) actionpack (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activerecord (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activeresource (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activesupport (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) fastthread (1.0.7) haml (3.0.12, 2.0.6) mysql (2.8.1) passenger (2.2.14, 2.2.9) rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1) rails (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) rake (0.8.7) restful_authentication (1.1.6)

The web server used is NGinx running on port 8443 ; transactions are made with HTTPS.

I'm facing a serious issue : when the developped site is browsed with firefox, eveything is clean and fast. When browsed with IE, it is verrrryyyy sloooowwww (more than a minute for each page to show). I checked various parameters on the server, in the browser, checked the logs,but I'm running out of idea.

Has one of you faced a problem like it before ?

Could you propose a way to determine where the bottleneck is ?

The only thing I havent done is install a packet sniffer to investigate the transactions ...

Any help would be really appreciated,

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas

Hi !

I have a ruby server set up running Ruby v1.8.7 and those gems : actionmailer (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) actionpack (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activerecord (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activeresource (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) activesupport (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) fastthread (1.0.7) haml (3.0.12, 2.0.6) mysql (2.8.1) passenger (2.2.14, 2.2.9) rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1) rails (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.3.3) rake (0.8.7) restful_authentication (1.1.6)

The web server used is NGinx running on port 8443 ; transactions are made with HTTPS.

I'm facing a serious issue : when the developped site is browsed with firefox, eveything is clean and fast. When browsed with IE, it is verrrryyyy sloooowwww (more than a minute for each page to show). I checked various parameters on the server, in the browser, checked the logs,but I'm running out of idea.

Are you sure it is browser related rather than a configuration problem on the client PC? If you have not already done so try it on another PC. You may already have done this of course.

Another thought, have you checked that the html is valid by pasting it into the w3c html validator website?

Colin

Nicolas Vincent wrote: [...]

Are you using JavaScript? If so, the problem might somehow be related to the difference in JS interpreters.

Best,

Yes I'm using JavaScript ; I tried disabling it but it didn't solved the problem.

I found a part of the solution : put the keepalive_timeout to 0.

Now it's as speedy on Firefox than IE !! But ... the bigger pictures don't want to display anymore ... Even if I just try to load a pictures stored in the public/images directory directly (so no JavaScript is involved). I'll try fidling around this parameter.

Thanks for your thought though,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Are you sure it is browser related rather than a configuration problem on the client PC? If you have not already done so try it on another PC. You may already have done this of course.

Yes I'm sure it's browser related. Actually I found the source of my second issues (some pictures not displaying anymore) : every image_tag I do generate the needed stuff only it's followed by some parameter : picture.png?12345322

When I remove it everything is going fine ! Do you know where I can disable this 'feature' so it'll stop appending this ?

Another thought, have you checked that the html is valid by pasting it into the w3c html validator website?

O errors or warnings.

Colin

Thanks for your help,

Nicolas