Best way to handle user's topic views in a forum

Hello,

I'm french... hope you will understand my English ^^

So I'm building a forum for my website from scratch. None of the already built forum like Beast or RForum suits my needs, and it'll take as much time to integrate them as to create a new one.

I would like your opinion on how to handle the user's topic views. The best behavior would be that every unread topic stays in this state as long as the user doesn't read it, and everytime a new post is created the topic is marked unread for that specific user. But I think it'll take to much resources to do that. So I'm thinking to do it the "punbb" way (not really sure but I remember it that way) : when a user goes back to the forum, every topic updated since its last visit is marked unread, until the user reads it. The only thing I don't like with this approach is that I need to update an "last_visit_at" attribute on my users every time they request a page on the forum. So how would you do it ?

My structure looks like this :

1. class Forum < ActiveRecord::Base    2. has_many :forum_topics    3. has_many :forum_posts    4. end    5.    6. class ForumTopic < ActiveRecord::Base    7. belongs_to :user    8. belongs_to :forum    9. has_many :forum_posts   10. end   11.   12. class ForumPost < ActiveRecord::Base   13. belongs_to :user   14. belongs_to :forum   15. belongs_to :forum_topic   16. end

Thanks

Thibaut