belongs_to has_many newbie question

I've searched alot tonight for this answer, it must be out there, so thanks for any help.

I have a simple setup like so:

LIST   has_many :list_items   has_many :business, :through => :list_items

LIST_ITEM   belongs_to :list   belongs_to :business

BUSINESS belongs_to :list_items ...?

So I have busineses on my website. Now I've made some lists, that have list items (which are businesses).

1. Is belongs_to list_items ok for my model above? 2. If i'm in the business controller viewing a business, how can i see what lists that business is listed in? So in my view in business, i want to show 'this business is listed in list X, list Y, etc.'.

Thanks for any help!

Hi --

I've searched alot tonight for this answer, it must be out there, so thanks for any help.

I have a simple setup like so:

LIST has_many :list_items has_many :business, :through => :list_items

Plural: has_many :businesses, etc.

LIST_ITEM belongs_to :list belongs_to :business

BUSINESS belongs_to :list_items ...?

That should be has_many :list_items. I think you'll also want has_many :lists, :through => :list_items

So I have busineses on my website. Now I've made some lists, that have list items (which are businesses).

1. Is belongs_to list_items ok for my model above?

No -- see above.

2. If i'm in the business controller viewing a business, how can i see what lists that business is listed in? So in my view in business, i want to show 'this business is listed in list X, list Y, etc.'.

If you have a business object in the variable @business, and if you do has_many :lists as above, then you can do:

@business.lists

and that will give you a collection (array) of all the lists.

I kind of think that maybe you want businesses to have lists and to have list_items through lists, rather than the other way around, but I'm not sure. Anyway, you can follow the patterns here. The goal is to make it easy to get the information from the objects you've got.

David

Thank you so much David, it all worked perfectly!

Much appreciated!

Dan