belongs_to has_many listing

Wasn't sure what to call the subject, but here's my issue.

I've got two models, and for arguments sake they're called model1 and model2. model1 has many models2 and therefore I use the following within the 'model' files

model1 has_many :models2

model2 belongs_to :model1 .......etc

However on my HTML listing page I want to show all the model1's and their model2 associates. For example,

model1 (foo1)     model2 (bar1)     model2 (bar2)     model2 (bar3) model1 (foo2)     model2 (bar4)     model2 (bar5)     model2 (bar6)     model2 (bar7)

So far I've only ever displayed one model and then used association to get it's children, for example

@model1 = Model1.find(params[:id]) @model2 = @model1.model2.find(:all)

The above works nicely, however for my new project I do; @model1 = Model1.find(:all) @model2 = Model2.find(:all)

I loop over @model1 and then have to loop on @model2 to see whether any of them belong to the @model1 I'm currently reading. Is their a nicer way to 'filter' @model2 into a new variable containing only the items relating to the current @model1? I just want my code to be cleaner and more 'rubyfied'

Thanks in advance

Is @model1.model2s what you're looking for?

///ark

I don't believe so because model1 is an array of database values, and the relationship to model2 is a one to many. At the moment I i've got

@model1s = Model1.find(:all) @model2s = Model2.find(:all)

When I render out each of the entries in @model1s I have to loop over @model2s in order to find the related values and render those. Normally if I'd only got one value, i.e. not an array, within @model1 then I would do

@model1 = Model1.find(1) @model2 = @model1.model2.find(:all)

To bottom line it I was just hoping these was a nice rubyish/rails way of handling this.

Thanks for you reply and hopefully the above makes things a little clearer.

I'd do this with partials.

class Model1Controller

def index         @models = Model1.find(:all)   end end

views/model1/index.rhtml (or .html.erb if you are using Rails 2.0)

<%= render :partial => 'model1', :collection => @models %>

views/model1/_model1.rhtml

<% # whatever you need to render the model1 stuff itself %>      <%= render :partial => 'model2', :collection => model1.model2s %>

views/model1/_model2.rhtml

<% # whatever you need to render a model2 %>

I don't believe so because model1 is an array of database values

Actually, in my code @model1 was one of those values. @model1.model2s then gives you all the Model2 records associated with that particular Model1 record.

When I render out each of the entries in @model1s I have to loop over @model2s in order to find the related values and render those.

No need to loop.

///ark