Basic question map.root question

Hi

I'm brand new to RoR and just started the intro tutorial.

When trying to set the application home page like this:

The server won't start and gives the following errors (below)

I'm surprised to run into this error so early in the tutorial. Anyone know what's wrong with the syntax or how I'm applying it?

Thanks Mark

** Starting Rails with development environment... Exiting /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/routing.rb: 956:in `build': Illegal route: the :controller must be specified! (ArgumentError)   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/routing.rb: 1199:in `add_route'   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/routing.rb: 1205:in `add_named_route'   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/routing.rb: 992:in `root_without_deprecation'   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ deprecation.rb:94:in `root'   from ./script/../config/../config/routes.rb:16   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.6/lib/action_controller/routing.rb: 1166:in `draw'   from ./script/../config/../config/routes.rb:1   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.4/lib/active_support/ dependencies.rb:488:in `load'    ... 36 levels...   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.6/lib/commands/server.rb:39   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `gem_original_require'   from /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in `require'   from script/server:3

Hi

I'm brand new to RoR and just started the intro tutorial.

When trying to set the application home page like this:

Getting Started with Rails — Ruby on Rails Guides

I don't think it's a factor here, but you are following documention for rails 2.3 but running rails 1.2.6, you're almost certain at some point to run into features that don't exist in the version of rails you are running. What exactly do you have in routes.rb ?

Fred

Thanks Fred, you were exactly right; problem was with the version I was running. Upgraded to 2.3.3 and all is good now.

Thanks again Mark