Auto Populating vendor with installed Gems?

Hi, I have just started using edge rails with subversion. Thus, I was wondering, what's the correct way of getting your installed Gems added to your rails project? BTW, this is for deployment purposes. Ideally, I would like to copy the most current version of these Gems into my rails project when I perform an 'svn update'.

Thanks in advance,

-Conrad

Conrad Taylor wrote:

Hi, I have just started using edge rails with subversion. Thus, I was wondering, what's the correct way of getting your installed Gems added to your rails project? BTW, this is for deployment purposes. Ideally, I would like to copy the most current version of these Gems into my rails project when I perform an 'svn update'.

Are you talking about the Rails gems themselves (activerecord, actionpack, etc.)?

If so, are you using the svn:externals method of putting them into vendor/rails, or are you using the rails:freeze:edge rake task? Personally I use the latter, because I like the idea of testing my app against a specific revision of Edge Rails that I'm happy with, and keeping that entire setup in my repository. On the other hand, the svn:externals method will probably work better with your desire to automatically grab the latest revision of Edge when you do an svn up.

Or are you talking about third-party gems (e.g tzinfo)? If so, Rick Olson has a nice plugin called gems:

http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/gems/

which will help you freeze gems into your vendor directory so that they can be deployed with your app. It won't automatically update them for you when you svn up, though.

Chris

Hey Chris, I'm using svn:externals method to get rails into the vendor/rails area. Thus, this works GREAT when I perform an svn update. However, it doesn't update the other third-party gems that I have installed that aren't apart of rails. For example, mongrel and mongrel_cluster. In any case, I'll give the gem plugin a try.

Thanks,

-Conrad