appending to an array inside a loop..

can anyone tell me how to install ruby and then rails on ubuntu linux? thanks arjun

YES. I am sure someone can tell you. But, I hope no one does.

I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT... 1. Do not hijack a thread. 2. Get off your **** and type "install ruby rails on ubuntu linux" into google (which I am sure you are aware of) and be surprised at what it shows you.

best, Mohit.

arjun ghosh wrote:

yeh arjun u can ask question…

Hi Arjun,

If you refer to your original post (which included you hijacking a thread), you don't seem to have provided any detail at all that you referred to Google and found that it didn't work for you. Sarcasm is good if you can back it up. In any case, if you would be kind enough to tell us why you felt that Google has let you down and that the fantastic guides it connects to you are not working for you, perhaps someone would help.

You are most welcome to the forum here. People here are very welcoming and I apologize to them that I may have given them a bad name in your little world. All the same, there is basic etiquette that all newbies *should* follow (and I'm a relative newbie myself) - (1) Google your problem, (2) Start a new thread and post to a forum what you have done and why it doesn't work for you

You are likely to find people much more helpful.

Cheers Mohit.

Arjun Ghosh wrote:

Hi Ajit

I am not a big personality and don't consider myself to be.

I'm merely pointing out that any individual should try to search an answer to her/his question before asking a forum and should explain to the forum what s/he's tried and what problems s/he is facing with it. Merely saying "can anyone tell me how to install ruby and then rails on ubuntu linux?" is too generic a question and there are many guides online that cover this topic.

Anyway, this is _my_ last post on this topic. Cheers Mohit.

Ajit Jha wrote:

Hi Mohit, We got of on wrong foot. Anyway thanks. ciao Arjun

Arjun Ghosh wrote:

I was lead to believe that RoR community was a helpful lot.

RoR only exists because Google can unify its scattered and fragmented documentation. Hence, we need the threads here to start with a summary what Google said on a topic, so we know which gaps to fill. Consider those here who _will_ Google your question, and to cross-check their answers.

Next, Ubuntu is downstream from Debian, and Debian's packagers have a severely broken Ruby system. For example, rubygems is the most important Ruby library (because it installs all the others), but the Debian packages don't include it. Then if you install it, rubygems breaks for no apparent reason, in various ways.

Last year I tried to get Debian working on Ubuntu on my notebook, and I gave up and switched to Mandriva (which is downstream from RedHat and different base packages).

Last month I successfully installed Kubuntu on the same notebook and then got all of Rails working correctly. I don't know how I did it - do not ask me.

Then I tried to install Kubuntu and Rails on a desktop computer, and I couldn't get it working with > twice the effort. I couldn't build Ruby from scratch and then install everything all the way up, and I couldn't apt-get a basic Ruby and then add rubygems on top of that.

So I got CentOS (yet another of RedHat's "we're not really RedHat" project, like Fedora), then yum f---ed up and locked up my GUI over and over again. So I built Ruby from scratch, installed rubygem, and everything started working.

If you are a newb (I have >cough< 20 years programming experience, 10 of those on a Un*x), then erase that f---ing Ubuntu and get a RedHat-derived distro, such as Mandriva or a RedHat.

> I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT... > 1. Do not hijack a thread.

If you reply to a thread and change the Subject, as a convenience to get the To line, something in this maze of forum systems will change the subject back. If the newb could have done that, don't flame, when we seniors should be taking better care of our maze.

Phlip wrote:

I DON'T MEAN TO BE RUDE BUT... 1. Do not hijack a thread.        If you reply to a thread and change the Subject, as a convenience to get the To line, something in this maze of forum systems will change the subject back. If the newb could have done that, don't flame, when we seniors should be taking better care of our maze.

I agree & apologize. Cheers Mohit.

arjun ghosh wrote:

Hi Mohit, We got of on wrong foot. Anyway thanks. ciao Arjun

I agree! Welcome to the group. Cheers Mohit.

Phlip,

> If you are a newb (I have >cough< 20 years programming experience, 10   > of those on a Un*x), then erase that f---ing Ubuntu and get a   > RedHat-derived distro, such as Mandriva or a RedHat.

Actually, installing the Rails "stack" (incl. MySql, Apache, Mongrel, Subversion) on Ubuntu is a no-brainer, thanks to deprec.

There's a free screencast that shows the whole process in one go:   http://topfunky.com/clients/peepcode/free-episodes/peepcode-free-deprec.mov

, and it's documented elsewhere :    http://wiki.slicehost.com/doku.php?id=automated_rails_install_and_deployment_with_deprec_capistrano

Alain

The following link will point you to the book on Amazon that describes the process of intalling Ruby on Rails on Ubuntu in detail. I followed it and had no problems:

Hope this helps. Bharat

hi all, thanks every one above in the thread for the helpful links -ciao arjun