AjaxScaffold

Hi, I have just come across this plugin for rails. Is anyone else here using it in their projects? Any good?

Andrew Madu wrote:

I have just come across this plugin for rails. Is anyone else here using it in their projects? Any good?

Briefly, without experience with the actual plugin...

...for anything called "scaffold", try this experience: Whip out a sample Rails site with two models. Create a scaffold for the first model. Then create one for the second model, and see if the first one still works.

Next, are you targetting an Enterprise solution? (Where everyone uses the exact same Starfleet Web Browser?) If you target the open internet, you should not abuse Ajax. Traditional things like forms and pages should still work, but I suspect AjaxScaffold takes over _everything_. This breaks the rule that your site should have Pretty and Bookmarkable URIs.

I have used it in the early days of my project. It's really useful to show first drafts of the application to your customers: the CSS kicks ass, the AJAX too.

Actually, I don't use it anymore because: 1/ I thing the code is really messy (I don't like the way the plugin is coded) 2/ I have so a huge customization to do, that a rewrite was easier.

My $0.02,

Pierre-Alexandre Meyer wrote:

I have used it in the early days of my project. It's really useful to show first drafts of the application to your customers: the CSS kicks ass, the AJAX too.

Actually, I don't use it anymore because: 1/ I thing the code is really messy (I don't like the way the plugin is coded) 2/ I have so a huge customization to do, that a rewrite was easier.

I forgot 3/!

3/ Wizards (aka generators) and TDD often don't mix, and to    rewrite and clean up messy code you generally need unit tests!

So if someone could crack the TDD-for-Ajax nut...