Ajax request render from RJS and handling Flash notices

I figured out how to get it done. My situation was a bit different than the norm but the following works:

in my rjs:

page.replace_html("headstart" , :partial => "headstart" , :object => @teamnames) if @flashsetting == false page.replace_html("teamheaders" , :partial => "teamheaders" , :object => @teamnames) page.replace_html("team0" , :partial => "team0" , :object => @teamnames) page.replace_html("boxscore" , :partial => "boxscore" , :object => @teamnames) page.replace_html :notice, "" flash.discard

in my controller:

def validate_team_select(teamone,teamtwo)   if teamone == teamtwo && teamone != ""     flash[:notice] = 'You cannot compare a team to itself!'     virtual_redirect   elsif teamone == "" || teamtwo == ""     flash[:notice] = 'You must select two unique teams!'     virtual_redirect   else     virtual_response(teamone, teamtwo)   end end

def virtual_redirect   respond_to do |format|     format.html { redirect_to virtual_matchups_path }     format.js { render :update do |page| page.replace_html :notice, flash[:notice] end }   end end

Then I placed a notice div inside the actual view and not in the layout, nesting a partial to the notice alert with css coloring..

This works well in that it performs all my ajax requests through a standard process but if it reaches a validation error, it goes to the virtual_redirect which displays the correct messages without altering the view on the page.

When it does validate correctly, the message is cleared and flash notices are discarded on subsequent page redirects.