Ajax Date Selector or similar?

Älphä Blüë wrote:

I've been trying to find a date picker that works really well with Rails. I've looked into the following thus far:

jMaki Widget jQuery.datepicker jRails jQuery.datepicker

However, none of these provide any information on how to use them with Rails.

Every JS date picker I'm aware of populates a form field. Just submit the form containing that field, and you'll get the data you want. There's nothing magical about it.

[...]

I'm surprised to see that there is very little documentation about this area.

There's really nothing to document, provided you understand how forms are submitted in Rails.

Rails and ajax go hand in hand..

Not really. Rails provides a few canned Ajax helpers (that probably should be avoided in any case -- or used with lowpro -- since they generate inline JS), and deals nicely with XML and JSON requests, but that's about it. (I've done complex Ajax development, but never with Rails.)

Maybe my google is broke...

No, I think you're looking for an explanation of something that's too trivial for most people to write about.

Best,

Hi Marnen,

Yeah I suppose I should have been more precise as to what I was trying to find. I did find something that will work with what I'm after:

http://agilewebdevelopment.com/plugins/calendariffic_0_1_0

I wanted something that worked as a widget that had a nice theme, was easy to style, and easy to date convert. Using this I can do the following:

<%= calendariffic_input(false, :compiled_on, 'calendariffic/date.png', 'search_cal', '%Y-%m-%d', @todays_date, {}, {:class => 'borderless'}) %>

Pretty easy method call and the documentation in the file matches something I can read pretty easily. I changed the dateformat, the name/id, and can pass this along to my named_scope to generate the date.

Now I just have to figure out whether I need to use an actual submit button or whether I can find something that works like an OnChange or an observer method. I'd like it so that when someone presses the calendar widget and selects the date, a notifier method changes the data..

I'll look into it..