Advice for new Project/Startup

I'm currently in the beginning stages of founding an internet startup (who isn't?) and wanted to seek out the communities advice as to finding a good partner. I've developed with RoR some, and, as a long time linux user and advocate, would like to build the company on the foundations and philosophies of open source. However, being in the role of founder, I'm going to be forced to delegate the major managing of the development of the website to someone else, as I'll be spending my time focusing on a number of other tasks.

Does anyone have advice as to where to find a good developer, particularly one in the RoR community? The company would most likely be based out of NYC, and I would prefer the person to be local there. This is my first attempt at a startup, and unfortunately, being young and in an IT position where everyone uses microsoft tools, most of my contacts are not ones that would align to my commitment of an open source shop.

Any advice, tips, or comments from people that may have been in a similar position as myself at some point?

I would say try your contacts first anyway. You need to find someone you trust and believes in what you do. Even if they are M$ advocated (pity, really) they can't ignore how successful open source projects can and are, simply by the numbers. Some of them might be looking to move over to open source or know someone.

I can't speak to the RoR community in NYC but I can say having just moved from Boston to SF, RoR seems to have a stronger following on the West Coast than the East and there seems to be more people skilled in RoR development out here. It's also difficult finding RoR people so if you want someone good, be prepared to pay a little more.

Another angle is to find someone with good Web development background but little or no RoR experience. Many people are looking to switch over. I switch a little while back from J2EE by taking on a freelance project and working extra to get up to speed. Glad I did as I really enjoy the environment much more than J2EE and don't want to go back!

FWIW,

Scott

Same here. As a long time Java developer I'm having a blast learning, and working with RoR. The Ruby language is just such a pleasure to work with it's so amazing.

> This is my first attempt at a startup, and unfortunately, being young > and in an IT position where everyone uses microsoft tools, most of my > contacts are not ones that would align to my commitment of an open > source shop.

As for "everyone" uses Microsoft tools. This certainly isn't the case in the RoR community. While I'm sure many do still develop on Windows, I believe that I read somewhere that the entire Rails core team all use Apple Macintosh systems for development. Of course that's what I use for all my development work, and have for years.

The Mac is a beautiful platform for developing Rails applications. It allows me more capability than any other platform available. I have a fully functional and complete UNIX system, TextMate for excellent Ruby code creation, and I can use a single machine to test my application in every web browser available on ANY platform. This includes Safari, FireFox (Mac), FireFox (Win), FireFox (*NiX), Microsoft IE (Win), Netscape (all plaforms).

The Mac simply cannot be beat for a software development platform (with the exception of maybe .Net). But you can still just run that in Widows right on the same box if you really had to (yuck! just the thought makes my skin crawl).

Mojo, You poor guy! Notice you asked how to bake an apple pie, and the responses range from how to bake a peach cobbler to my favorite martini. I've traveled the Borland, Microsoft (and now) open source world and, Wow! what a difference. I'm not sure how much my rambling will help you, but my advice is "Learn Rails to a 'working' degree" or your life will be one of PAIN. Have you ever played that game where one person whispers a phrase into the ear of the first person in line, and then after many whispers the last person announces the message? Multiply this a hundred times when dealing with programmers and you'll see the end result. The books and tools are available and if you're will to trade the PAIN for learning Rails, you'll increase your chances of succeeding in your new venture. I too, am taking this journey. David