[ADV] B1.13 of AWDwR Beta Book available

Folks:

I've uploaded the B1.13 version of AWDwR.

I've updated the Action View chapter: it now uses form_for for model-based forms, which will help with the eventual transition to Simply Helpful in Rails 2. I also show custom form builders.

I've also fixed all reported errata in the new content: I'll be working on Action Mailer soon, so haven't bothered to work on errata fro the old edition yet.

I need to stress that the book is written on the assumption that the reader has Rails 1.2 installed. As that doesn't yet exist, you HAVE TO HAVE EDGE RAILS for some of this stuff to work. Some folks like the following description of working with Edge:

As usual, the update is available for free from

Pragmatic Bookshelf: By Developers, For Developers

Enter just two of the three pieces of information to identify your PDF. I recommend using your order number and your email address, as these tend to be be the most consistent.

A note on errata: please do keep them coming in. However, as I'll be rewriting the chapters from the first edition (the ones with the gray headers and footers) you might not want to stress too much about things you find in these. Also, errata about bad page breaks and missing cross references will be silently but brutally deleted, simply because that kind of stuff is not really important until we come to finish the book. Similarly, the entire index will be reworked when the book is finished, so reporting missing index entries probably won't help much...

Thanks for your support for this project. Keep the comments coming in.

Cheers

Dave Thomas

The book says all new chapters have headings in red and old chapters in grey. But I don't see any read colored chapters including Action View chapter.

I see the red headers. Is your front cover in color?

-- James

The cover is in color. The revision is oct 05, 2006. None of the new chapters is in red headers.

That's very strange: I just downloaded what I think is the PDF you just regenerated, and I see red and gray headers: I'd include an image showing the red page footer with your name in it, but I suspect it won't get through the mailing list.

Please contact me off list and we'll work this through.

Regards

Dave Thomas