Adding a button to a form

I’ve looked at the API, and the only ‘button’ reference I found was for submit. How would I add another button to a form? I tried:

button_tag ‘Do Something’, :action => ‘do_something’

But that gave me an error.

Any help would be appreciated.

As far as I know, the form can only submit to one place, but you can put logic in the action it submits to that determines which button was clicked. I have a form that does this and the logic basically goes like this...

case params["commit"]   when "Do This"     some code to do something   when "Do That"     some code to do something else end

The "commit" might be able to change to :commit. (Can't remember.) The "Do This" and "Do That" are the values of the submit buttons.

It’s simply input :type => ‘button’

John W Higgins wishdev@gmail.com

John, It sounds so simple, yet I can’t seem to get it right. When I enter this line into my view:

<%= input :type => 'button' %>

I get this error:

wrong number of arguments (1 for 2)

So, I changed it to :

<%= input 'Do Something', :type => 'button' %>

which returns a different error:

`@Do Something' is not allowed as an instance variable name

What am I missing, here. -Larry

api.rubyonrails.com has an entry for the input tag.

Michael Campbell wrote:

api.rubyonrails.com has an entry for the input tag.

> John, > It sounds so simple, yet I can't seem to get it right. When I enter this > line into my view: > > <%= input :type => 'button' %> > > I get this error: > wrong number of arguments (1 for 2) > > > > So, I changed it to : > > <%= input 'Do Something', :type => 'button' %> > > which returns a different error: > > `@Do Something' is not allowed as an instance variable name > > > What am I missing, here. > -Larry > > > > > > It's simply input :type => 'button' > > > > John W Higgins > > wishdev@gmail.com > > > > > > > > > > > > I've looked at the API, and the only 'button' reference I found was for > submit. How would I add another button to a form? I tried: > > > > > > button_tag 'Do Something', :action => 'do_something' > > > > > > But that gave me an error. > > > > > > Any help would be appreciated. > > > > > > -- > > > Best Regards, > > > -Larry > > > "Work, work, work...there is no satisfactory alternative." > > > --- E.Taft Benson > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > -- > Best Regards, > -Larry > "Work, work, work...there is no satisfactory alternative." > --- E.Taft Benson > > >

-- More software projects have gone awry for lack of calendar time than for all other causes combined. -- Fred Brooks

A neat trick for this that I picked up somewhere...

give your custom button a :name attribute.

<%= submit 'cancel', :name=>:cancel %>

Then on submission, look for params[:cancel]. If it's there, that button was pressed.

_Kevin