Add value to select box

Hey guys!

I was wondering. I'm generating a select box in my view where the user can pick from a number of alternatives. However, I would like the last option to be "Add new..." and then a box would pop up allowing the user to enter a new value.

Now I've got all the JavaScript and the Rails code to allow the user to enter a new option, the problem is how do I add the last alternative ("Add new...") to my select box?

Take care! Alex

Now I've got all the JavaScript and the Rails code to allow the user to enter a new option, the problem is how do I add the last alternative ("Add new...") to my select box?

In your controller:

@options = Option.find(:all).collect {|p| [ p.name, p.id ] } @options << ["Add New", nil]

Then in your view:

<%= select("user", "choice_id", @options, { :include_blank => true }) -%>

This should work, because select just iterates over an array taking the .first and .last values from it.

Mikel

Hi Alex,

However, I would like the last option to be "Add new..." and then a box would pop up allowing the user to enter a new value.

Assuming that the action that adds the new option creates a new record in the db and that you're rendering a partial to display the select in the first place (if not, refactor), just add a find to your action and re-render the select via RJS.

HTH, Bill