acts_as_list crashes with non-numeric id

Seems to me acts_as_list has a bug -- I have data where the row id is a random alphaNumeric, not a simple integer. Using acts_as_list with a scope of a related model id, acts_as_list crashes the app due to a faulty query in MySQL something like this:

class LineItem < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :order acts_as_list :scope => :order_id end

Unknown column 'UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n' in 'where clause': UPDATE `line_items` SET position = (position - 1) WHERE (order_id = UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n AND position > 5)

I've been trying several ways to force substition to generate those needed quotes myself, but so far no luck.

Anyone battle & solve this? Thx.

Greg Willits wrote in post #1109539:

Seems to me acts_as_list has a bug -- I have data where the row id is a random alphaNumeric, not a simple integer. Using acts_as_list with a scope of a related model id, acts_as_list crashes the app due to a faulty query in MySQL something like this:

class LineItem < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :order acts_as_list :scope => :order_id end

Unknown column 'UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n' in 'where clause': UPDATE `line_items` SET position = (position - 1) WHERE (order_id = UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n AND position > 5)

I've been trying several ways to force substition to generate those needed quotes myself, but so far no luck.

For future reference this is one of those times that fighting Rails conventions makes your life more difficult as a Rails developer. Rails wants it simple incrementing integer primary keys. If you can accommodate that wish then life for you as a developer gets simpler. If you want a key that is non-numeric, create a separate column and put a unique constraint on it, but let Rails have its standard simple integer key for use in creating associations.

If you really want to fix the problem the I suggest you fork the acts_as_list repository and fix the bug there. My guess is that the author of acts_as_list assumed the Rails conventions and never tested the scenario you've presented here.

Seems to me acts_as_list has a bug – I have data where the row id is a

random alphaNumeric, not a simple integer. Using acts_as_list with a

scope of a related model id, acts_as_list crashes the app due to a

faulty query in MySQL something like this:

class LineItem < ActiveRecord::Base

belongs_to :order

acts_as_list :scope => :order_id

end

Unknown column ‘UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n’ in ‘where clause’: UPDATE line_items

SET position = (position - 1) WHERE (order_id = UXPzIdeIuIFkz6n AND

position > 5)

I’ve been trying several ways to force substition to generate those

needed quotes myself, but so far no luck.

For future reference this is one of those times that fighting Rails conventions makes your life more difficult as a Rails developer. Rails wants it simple incrementing integer primary keys. If you can accommodate that wish then life for you as a developer gets simpler. If you want a key that is non-numeric, create a separate column and put a unique constraint on it, but let Rails have its standard simple integer key for use in creating associations.

This feels like it should work though - scope is not necessarily a foreign key column (it could easily be a status column for example (open/closed/etc)), so it should work with string valued columns. Also anything which allows an unquoted, user controllable string into an SQL query is a potential security problem

Fred

Robert Walker wrote in post #1109609:

For future reference this is one of those times that fighting Rails conventions makes your life more difficult as a Rails developer.

I've done quite a few apps with non-numeric IDs w/o problems until now. Apparently I never needed to scope a list (?) or the originall DHH one didn't have this problem maybe?

If you really want to fix the problem the I suggest you fork the acts_as_list repository and fix the bug there...

hmm...

So, awareness, but no fix yet.

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #1109627:

This feels like it should work though - scope is not necessarily a foreign key column (it could easily be a status column for example (open/closed/etc)), so it should work with string valued columns. Also anything which allows an unquoted, user controllable string into an SQL query is a potential security problem

That's what I was thinking. Though my (probably incomplete) efforts to inject some quotes have failed.

Anyway, I guess I'll hack at my local copy and see what I come up with...

Thanks to both

-- gw

The position column in the mapped table needs to be an integer. See:

mike wrote in post #1109708:

Doh!! Gemfile did not have a specified version for acts_as_list and was using an older version. Version 0.2.0 appears to be working fine. With a simple scope, adding/deleting are working as I need them too.

-- gw